Chapter Ten: The Devil went down to purgatory, looking for souls to steal

Start from the beginning

I heard snickers whisper around the corridor, followed by a loud sniff.

"...then we smelled the blood of that human girl behind you."

Every instinct I had was telling me to bolt, but I knew that wouldn't do anything but get me killed. I could feel Roran tense in front of me and knew we would probably have to fight our way out of here.

"I'm curious, phoenix," a new female voice called from the darkness. "What kind of deal did you make with the King to get him to find you a human companion?"

Roran growled under his breath and snapped, "I don't make deals with anyone, especially Moroi."

"Liar!" the woman snapped in response.

"He isn't lying," argued Nicolai. "Roran's been here longer than any of us, Aleksandra. Which begs the question, how exactly did you come by this human, my friend?"

"I'm not your friend, Nicolai," Roran replied. "And it's none of your business where she came from. Now let us pass, or die."

Aleksandra's high-pitched laugh sounded in the darkness and she said, "You truly think you can kill us? We are many and you are only one. If anyone will die to day, phoenix, it is you."

"Silence, Aleksandra," Nicolai snapped.

"But-"

"Nyet!" Nicolai shouted. "You don't know what you're saying, child."

There was a significant pause, and I squinted into the dark to try and see what was happening. I could only make out the outlines of the group of people gathered around us, but it seemed like Nicolai and Roran were having a stare down. They obviously had a history, but weren't exactly on friendly terms. And apparently Nicolai knew enough about Roran to be scared of his threats.

"We merely want to know where the human came from, Roran. Surely you could give us that."

"She came here when she died, just like all of you," Roran responded, his tone sharp and obviously impatient.

Nicolai scoffed. "Impossible! Surely you don't expect us to believe that. All human souls go to heaven or hell. Everyone knows this."

Roran pulled the blade from the sheath at his side and said, "You don't have to believe it. You asked me to tell you how she came to be here and I did. Now let us pass, vampir."

A collective hiss echoed around the corridor, but Nicolai spoke over it.

"Da, da. You are right. But we will be watching, my friend. I am very interested in that girl. What did you say here name was?"

Roran moved forward a few steps, keeping me close behind him. "I didn't."

As we were walking away I heard someone move up very close behind me, but Roran was quick to circle around and cut them off. In the distance I heard Nicolai call, "Nyet, Aleksandra! Let them go!"

I let out a deep sigh of relief when the footsteps retreated and we were able to make a clean getaway.

"Roran?" I whispered once I thought we were far enough out of earshot. "Who were those people? That one, Nicolai, you know him?"

"Nicolai was from Russia during his time on earth. Most of the members of his coven are from there also."

I swallowed hard. That could have ended very badly for me. "Thanks for saving me - y'know, again."

Roran chuckled and replied, "You're running up quite a tab. You better start thinking of ways to pay me back, because at this rate it's going to take you several lifetimes."