Chapter One

Fey leaped out of bed and quietly ran outside. She ducked under the low-hanging branch of a tree and made her way to the hut where Fayrin lived.

"Fayrin, it's me. " Fey said, hearing Fayrin moving about in the hut. Fayrin poked her snout out of the doorway and nuzzled into Fey.

"You're excited too, aren't you. It's TOMORROW!!!!" Fey beamed. Fayrin snorted and looked at the sky.

"Well... yeah, I know it's still night time, but I'm too excited to sleep! And considering you were still awake, I'd say you are too! Let's go to ask the moon for luck!" Fey said, leading Fayrin out of the hut and down the familiar path to the forest clearing where the moonlight shone especially bright.

Fayrin emerged from the hut, her scales gleaming silvery white. Her strong wings were delicate and seemed as if they were made of pure moonlight. Her long, thin body moved with surprising agility for a creature so large as she followed Fey. Thin spikes ran along her back and down her tail. Fayrin tossed her head and her purple horns reflected moonlight as if they were metal.

Fey was practically skipping in her excitement. Fayrin laid her spikes flat and ran to Fey, using her head to toss Fey onto her back. Fey shrieked and laughed as she grabbed onto Fayrin's horns to stop herself from falling as Fayrin ran several hundred feet, gaining speed and momentum until she launched herself into the air.

The two friends broke through the treeline and Fayrin dipped her head, telling Fey to hold on tight. Fey did, and Fayrin flew in a loop in front of the full moon. The light shone down on them as Fayrin leveled out and they looked at the moon.

"It's nice being from the village of Moonlight. Getsumei has the most beautiful nights of any of the Seven Great Villages." Fey said. She leaned back and looked up at the moon.

"Please light our way during the competition. It's our first time being so far from home." Fey said, looking up at the moon as she spoke. "I wonder if you will look the same from Eiria."

Fayrin made a sound of agreement, almost like a purr, and slowly they began the descent back to their home.

"I wonder why they still call it Eiria anyway. That was the name of the whole country before the Great War when our land was divided into the Seven Great Villages... Now Eiria is only that town." Fey mused, as she carefully climbed down from Fayrin's back. Fayrin shook herself and set her spines upright again, then pointed her tail at her hut.

"Yeah, you're right... We probably should get some sleep." Fey stifled a yawn.

Fayrin turned and walked into the hut. She turned to look back at Fey with her vibrant purple eyes.

"Oh, you want me to stay with you?" Fey asked. She laughed and followed Fayrin into the hut. The two curled up together, and fell asleep, excited for the day ahead.

*******

"What do you think, Gesson? It's finally happening tomorrow! It seems like we've been waiting forever, doesn't it?" Chio grinned as he used a rake-like tool to brush Gesson's pale blue fur.  Gesson was a very unusual dragon in the fact that he was furry instead of scaly, like most dragons.

Gesson lifted a leg and scratched around his neck, indicating he wanted his mane brushed next. Gesson posed and wiggled his ears, making Chio laugh. Gesson was always a bit self-conscious, especially around other dragons. For one, he was furry, and he also didn't have wings. He could still fly, to an extent, and he could run like the wind, but being around dragons with wings was always a big deal to Gesson.

"Don't worry about the wingy dragons tomorrow Gess," Chio said, seeing Gesson's hesitation.

Gesson pointed a claw at the sky and looked at Chio intently.