Chapter 18 - My First Dance

Start from the beginning

The King's voice ripped through the silent night air startling Nikos and Kyla out of their bubble.

Nikos reluctantly released Kyla and as she slowly slid down his form, she saw an annoyed look on his face from being rudely interrupted.

However, the annoyance didn't shadow the dimple on his face.

Even with this extreme irritation, he was feeling strangely happy.

Like on top of the world.

He felt that nothing could burst his bubble of happiness right now.

"Father", Nikos acknowledged respectfully, but his voice betrayed a hint of impatience.

"Son", the King spoke ruefully, "I'm glad you guys have sorted your problems out. But the rest of us are still in the dark here."

He addressed Kyla sternly, "you just dropped a totally cryptic statement and disappeared after Nikos. Everyone is still waiting for a complete explanation about this whole thing." He mumbled to himself, "That is, if there is any possible explanation to give."

Nikos wound his hand around Kyla's waist and pulled her close to him. He looked at his father, "The explanation is as it is. Kyla doesn't want to be queen. The people are happy. My mate gets her wish. It's a win - win for everyone."

"And you are okay with that?", the King looked at his son puzzled.

"Yes", Nikos smiled fondly at his mate, "I want what Kyla wants."

"What about the future Queen then?", the King queried, "you'll choose someone other than your mate?", he asked incredulously.

A sudden growl aimed at him, erupted from both Nikos and Kyla.

The King almost backed off in shock.

Almost.

"I guess that's not happening then", he laughed lightly, unsure of where this conversation headed.

He waited for further explanation, when he realized there wasn't any, he put up his hands in loss for words, "Okay. Let's keep this conversation open for discussion at some other time. Both of you still need to go back to the party. We can't have both the honorary guests disappearing. Everyone is just standing about doing nothing", the King stated exasperatedly.

He looked at his son's stubborn, annoyed face.

"You didn't have your first dance, did you?", the King exclaimed over-enthusiastically, dangling a suddenly thought bone in front of Nikos, "Come on son, no Ball is complete without a waltz."

Nikos considered this thoughtfully, his head tilted to one side. He looked at his mate, his expression turned into youthful resolve and enthusiasm.

"Yes. That's right", his grin turned wickedly reckless, sensing Kyla's averseness to the suggestion, "Cannot have a Ball without a dance."

-------------------------------------------------------------------

"Now put your left foot forward.... Okay and now your right forward and a little further to your right. No, not like that", Nikos whispered out instructions and Kyla attempted furtively to follow them word to word.

Everything around her was indistinct, but she had a faint idea that they were dancing far, way far too slow to the beat of the music. She could sense the looks directed towards them, but she was hell bent on getting the steps right.