chapter four.

Chapter four: F R A G I L E

SHE woke up to eyes on her. People she didn't recognize, but some she did. Was she dreaming? She didn't think so.

She felt uneasy. Something about her was off, she just didn't know what. Her feet felt different, so did her legs. Her entire body felt ripped away from it's normal feeling.

There was the familiar blonde woman, Jennifer, sitting by the gurney. She was staring at her as if she was waiting for Sam to wake up. "Hey.. you're awake."

"I wish I wasn't." Sam croaked, due to the trauma on her trachea, she couldn't speak as loudly as she wanted to. The blonde motioned for everyone to leave the room, in which they all did, but slowly. "How long have I been here?" She asked hoarsely.

"You've been here for about three days, and unconscious for all three of them." Jennifer answered softly. "This is going to be difficult to answer, but, do you know how you ended up here?"

"I only remember," Samantha cleared her throat. "Finding a woman in an alley- she was dead, before I got to her anyways." Sam's eyes widened, looking at the woman with a worrisome look. "What happened to me?" She started to break down and cry, as she spoke.

"You were attacked.. by the unsub we are chasing." Jennifer mumbled, tapping her foot silently. "We managed to catch him in the act, before he actually, but he got away before we could shoot at him."

Sam started to break into a sob, "I wish.." She swallowed the lump in her throat, closing her eyes as she rested her head back on the pillow. "I wish he had killed me."

Those words only allowed for Jennifer to stare at her, only for Sam to yell at her
To leave. So she did for some time.

A few hours later, a nurse poked her head into the room- only for the woman to groan when she saw the nurse. "Samantha, you have someone here to see you."

Sam was too nice to object, but she didn't want to hear from anyone- especially in the family group. Her family members weren't the most sympathetic people, and they'd probably just prod at her and tell her how lucky she was to be alive- when she should've been gutted like the others.

The people whom turned the corner caused a smile to grow onto her face. The smallest male started to run towards her in the gurney- attempting to hug her. The eldest male grabbed the young one, holding him back by the shoulder, knowing that Sam would go into shock if she were touched.

"Chris.." Sam grinned reaching a hand out, Chris interlocking his larger fingers between her webbing. "Have you been taking your medication?"

"I've been taking it on time for a while, so that's why they're letting me come and see you, I'm stable enough somehow."

Those words caused her to grin, "what about Max? How's he doing in school? He's a junior now, right?"

"Despite having some communication problems with people in his class, he's been doing well. He's an A and B student."

Chris sat on the side of her gurney, while Maximus was sitting on one of the chairs, reading a magazine. "Could you not look at me like that?"

"Sam, how am I looking at you?"

"His stare is the same as yours." Samantha started hyperventilating, and her body released cold sweat from out of its pores. The monitor beside her started beeping intensely. "It's the same- the same!"

Chris became overwhelmed by his sisters screeches, causing him to run out of the hospital room as nurses treated Sam. His lungs burned, to the point where he could barely breathe. He had felt betrayed by the world, clenching is fist in anger as he watched his sister become sedated from the window.

Maxwell kept his arms wrapped around Chris in fear, whining and crying like a small child. All Chris could do was help Max sit down, and comfort him.

It was a few minutes before it seemed like everything went silent. One or two nurses in the halls- and steady beeps of Sam's monitor echoing throughout the pearl white corridor.

A man with slicked back shaggy hair and glasses finally approached the two boys in the hallway- his sweater giving off a soft vibe.

"Hi. I'm Doctor Spencer Reid." The man gave a formal introduction. "May I talk to you for a moment? I could walk with you to the vending machine and back."

Chris looked at Max worriedly, afraid if the boy had been woken up roughly, he would start panicking. His eyebrows furrowed before he glanced back up at the so-called doctor.

"Who do you work for?" Chris whispered, his guard now standing higher than ever.

"I'm with the Federal agents outside of your sisters room. I just want to ask a few questions, is all." The Doctor replied, gesturing Christopher over to the vending machine.

Chris walked cautiously with the man named Spencer towards the snack dispenser. The man pulled a small towelette from his pocket and wiped down the buttons as he stared through the glass.

"What is Sam like, as a person?" The Doctor asks as he selects his snack.

"I'd say she's a strong person- considering she's the only normal one in the family who ended up raising two boys without the help of her mother or father." Chris murmured, tapping his leg. "She didn't deserve any of this." Chris's voice shook, his eyes glossy from the trauma his blood has suffered.

"She sounds like a very brave person, Christopher. And we will find the person who did this, I promise." The man replied, softly nibbling into the granola bar he had bought.

"If you don't find the person who did this— it won't be this one serial killer you'll have to worry about." Christopher narrowed his eyes angrily at the federal agent, before returning to Max's side.