chapter three.

chapter three: Curiosity killed the cat.

"Being smart was key; being careful was critical.
Being lucky didn't hurt."

TRIGGER WARNING FOR THIS CHAPTER:
SEXUAL ASSAULT / MENTION OF RAPE

         "Samantha Hodge, twenty two years old, last checked blood pressure was 90/60, with signs of sexual assault and rape, bruising along the neck as well

"Samantha Hodge, twenty two years old, last checked blood pressure was 90/60, with signs of sexual assault and rape, bruising along the neck as well."

↘︎ O N E H O U R P R I O R TO ↙︎
I N C I D E N T

"HELLO." The woman said as she walked in, her blonde hair falling in front of her eyes due to the cut bangs amongst her forehead.

"Oh look," Sam snickered, "they finally sent in the female. I wonder when they'd play that card." Sam licked her lips in a smirk, causing the blonde to swallow her saliva. If she were to be treated like a criminal, she was to act like one.

"My name is Jennifer." She tapped her fingers onto the metal table, "and I come bearing gifts." She gave a soft, worrisome smile; as she held up a bag with a large, yellow 'M' logo on it.

"What'd you get?" Sam asked with a snotty tone.

"Cheeseburger, and fries." Jennifer smiled, pulling out a neatly wrapped burger and a small box of fresh, salted fries.

"I'm lactose intolerant." Sam pursed her lips together, flicking the burger away. Sam grabbed the fries and shoved some in her mouth, "it's hilarious, you know? You think You'll get my trust by feeding me, though, that is how I usually work, but not in this case scenario."

"oh alright-"

"What time is it?" The brunette asked.

"Excuse me?"

"What time is it?" She repeated.

"Almost two o'clock. About 1:50 p.m."

"Hm. Ten minutes." Sam sang tauntingly as she stuffed another fry in her mouth, having not eaten for twenty seven hours.

"I'm sorry, I—,"

"It was 2:01 when I was arrested,  two days ago. Forty eight hours you have to hold me, but so far I see you have no physical evidence that lead to my arrest. Bye bye." She waved at Jennifer like a bratty toddler as the blonde left the room.

                                    It felt like forever
    until Samantha had finally finished her fries. The man from earlier came inside to escort her out of the interrogation room- her fry box still in hand.

    He had a firm grip on her forearm, causing her to smack his hand away. "I'm a big girl," she snapped. "I can walk myself home." Tugging away, she walked out the door, absorbing the sunlight she lacked from the last twenty four hours.

   The heat blasted at her, seeping into her skin and her clothes- making her feel warm for the first time. Now, she could finally go home and give Calliope some closure to her about where she had been.

She was about halfway home, before she felt uneasy. The street was quiet, though it had never been. Usually you'd see these streets filled with children kicking around a soccer ball, or teenagers smoking marijuana in the ditch under the bridge.

Her eyes narrowed, seeing smoke coming from the alley. It wasn't smoke-smoke, but rather the exhalation of drugs from a person's lungs, but usually the smoke doesn't keep running if they've exhaled it.

Worried, Sam peeked into the alley- seeing a woman, possibly a crackhead- hence the scabs along her arms and the dryness of her skin, sitting against the brick wall- a joint between her fingers.

Her head was leaned back, eyes closed- she seemed at peace. Though, what set the whole scenario a little off is the fact that there was blood stains down her thigh.

Sam walked closer, careful of her surroundings- and her keys were in between her fingers in case of attack. Curiosity got the best of her, and that's what killed her.

She poked the woman, only sending the woman to fall sideways. A shriek came from Sam's mouth, seeing the blood pooling around the woman's abdomen- seeping into the dirtied white dress she wore.

Her organs had spilt out of her body, and Sam had noticed she wasn't wearing any underwear. She managed to convince herself to start kneeling down, searching for the cause of the bleeding down her thigh. She spotted something horrible- cuts and mush between her legs- as of her genitals were cut by a knife, or sharp instrument of some sort.

Her stomach started to rumble- but not in a way in which she needed food. Oh no. She felt her stomach doing flips, and knots. Until the hot bile rose, stinging the back of her throat and hitting the cold ground of the alleyway.

She felt wind softly brush against her neck, causing goosebumps to scatter amongst her arms. A loud thunk was heard before her face was in the freezing yet soft dirt, a pounding sensation in the back of her head.

She looked up from the ground, pupils dilated from both the pain and the dark, only being able to spot the shape of the man's face- and the ice cold stare that plunged into hers, before the pain was too unbearable, and she let the dark consume her, setting her at peace.

"Her name is Samantha Hodge, we found her ID in her jacket." She heard the muffled voice of a woman, her eyes peeling open to see a bright light above her- making the pounding in the back of her head worse.

"She goes to the law school down the street. She's twenty two years old, bruises along her neck and hips, bleeding in the brain to force of impact, blood pressure is 90/60, and about to go into stage one: hypertensive shock. And it seems there are signs that she was raped." She heard a man say, his large hands in front of her face, dragging the gurney along the hospital floors.

Though the darkness enveloped her once more, this time she saw a small, bright circle above her- in which she wanted to enter.