Cafe Conversations

Start from the beginning

You have the ability to heal, Sarah's words come back to me. Your power relies on the chi of the world - others.

If Ren doesn't stabilize right now, I think I might pass out. On a whim, I reach out and wrap my arms around his shoulders, pulling him into a hug. He stiffens at the action. He doesn't return the favor, but he doesn't pull away, either. Slowly but surely, his chi evens out and I feel a lot better. "Thank you," I sigh, pulling away from him. "After the swap, I've been able to pick up your energy. Being a water bender, my power relies on the chi of others, so when your energy spikes, it affects me."

Awkwardly, Ren pulls a chair next to me. "I see..."

"But anyways...the situation with the dojo in Japan...does it have to do with your brother?" I tentatively inquire.

"Which one?"

I look at Ren with furrowed brows. He has two brothers? I know he killed one of them, but...I had no idea there was another. Waiting for him to explain further, I sip my coffee.

"Forget about it," Ren mutters. "Look: you can't leave them with Elektra. Can you imagine how that would go? Elektra taking care of Leo and Sarah?"

"If I stay, then you stay," she bargains.

"Why?" Ren interrogates, putting his head in his tan hand.

"If I'm busy taking care of those three while you're gone, then who's going to take care of you?"

"Me?" Ren repeats. "I don't need anyone taking care of me – you're the one who gets paler than usual when someone's a little upset," he bites, taking my coffee and taking a giant swig.

"Only because you have an unresolved past," I point out. "I've been thinking...I need your help. You rely on your own energy to use your power, so you don't have to worry like imbalances like I do. I know we aren't exactly the best of friends, but...if you help me, I'll help you."

Ren snorts, shaking his head. "I don't need help – especially not yours."

"Come on," I coax. "Once we get to the energy sages, I'll learn how to heal injuries and stuff. Maybe I can heal your visions...make them disappear for good."

Ren opens his mouth to respond, but he silences himself. Frowning, he leans against the computer table and puts his head in his hand, looking away. I assume he's thinking about it. I know he really hates the visions he gets, so I'd naturally assume he'd jump at the opportunity to finally end them. Does he really despise me so much that he's taking all this time to contemplate accepting my guidance? Geez.

"I don't think you can heal those kinds of injuries," he softly mumbles. "It's almost twelve-thirty. If we don't make it back in time, they'll leave without us. That is: if you're staying."

I stare at the unpowered computer screen. If I can tough out these first few days with my beloved group of criminals and make it to Japan, maybe I'll really be able to make a fresh start. Also, I doubt Asylum would follow anyone halfway across the world...

Standing up, I finish the coffee. "I'll stay. How about you?"

Unsurely, Ren gives shrugs with one shoulder. "Undecided."

"Well that's a step up from definitely ditching," I note.

"Yeah, don't get excited," he quickly refutes, shooting me his evil-eye. Though he doesn't decisively commit to staying, I can still read his energy. Ren claims to be on the fence, but I think after my proposition to make his visions vanish, he's leaning towards following us through to Japan. As we walk out and back to the bank, Ren speaks again. Usually, he only talks first to push my buttons, so this is a first when he says, "I'll go to Japan, but there's no promise that I'll go to the dojo."

"Why the sudden decision?"

"I was thinking about Asylum. It would be a lot easier to get away from them on a plane that takes us to Japan than on foot. It's only logical for me to go."

"Just because of logic? You don't feel any connection to the people who elected you leader?"

"I'm not one for connections," he ends, leaving the conversation on a stifling awkward note.

"They have a lot of faith in you. You should give them a chance," I suggest, thinking about the group. Elektra respects Ren, which says a lot considering they were ready to tear each other to pieces the day they met. Sarah trusted him enough to help me when my energy was low. And Leo willingly went with Ren to get food, and he seemed to be in a chipper mood when we all grouped together again.

"A chance to what? Braid their hair or something?"

I laugh, imagining Ren doing anything with hair at all – he looks the same every day. "Not exactly. They'll grow on you, though. You'll be surprised how quickly they can mean something to you. That is, if you let them." I know when I first got to Asylum, Leo was the first one who made me smile and the Sarah was the first one to want to be friends with me.

"What if I don't want to let them?" Ren defies. Undoubtedly, his refusal to bond with anyone stems from whatever nightmare occurred in his past. I wish he would tell me exactly what happened. I know it's hard to hold onto something painful like that. If there was someone I could talk to – about how I killed my parents, about the blood markings that burn themselves in my skin when I use the darkest part of my power – I'm sure I would feel a lot better mentally. Maybe...just maybe, I could even sleep.

Considering Ren has displayed an uncharacteristic side of himself; vague vulnerability, a bit of emotion other than anger – I won't press him too much. If he ever wants to talk, he will. And I think, given time, he will. There's a part of Ren that really does want to connect with people and befriend them – I know for sure. Not because of his energy readings or the shifts in his chi.

If he really didn't care about any of us at all, then he wouldn't have even bothered coming to the café. He either convinced me to stay for personal reasons dealing with his visions, or because he's concerned about the wellbeing of everyone else. Whether he knows it or not, he already is connecting. I just hope when he realizes it, he doesn't get scared and vanish.

"What're you looking at?" he asks, snapping me out of my thoughts. I didn't realize I had been staring at him. "Stop it. It's weird."

Sheepishly, I turn away, my face heating up – presumably out of embarrassment. "Sorry." After a few meters, I manage to cool down and look back at Ren, who is already staring. "Hey," I bite, holding my hand up to his eyes. "Double standard, much?"

Grunting, he slaps my hand away with the back of his. "Don't flatter yourself."