Chapter 3

Oranta fumed. Her monkey servants, who were usually the best on the whole island, could not find Unaki. As she stood on her golden throne, carried by some of her servants, she hissed and chattered, kicking the air. "MONKEY FEATHERS!!" she screamed. "YOU HAD ONE JOB TO DO!!! WHAT IS YOUR MAJOR MALFUNCTION!?"

One of her servants chattered and squeaked to explain itself. But from the look in her eyes, Oranta was not pleased with his excuses and snapped her finger. Some of the monkeys jumped the poor little guy and carried him off while the poor thing screamed helplessly.

"I have no time for excuses," she said. "The sun is setting and—He is back!"

A little monkey scurried down from the trees and climbed up to the throne. She sat down to listen to the monkey. A sinister smile crossed her lips. "So, she's with Kaitan and the Teo Tribe?" she asked. "Well, what are we waiting for!? It is almost dark, GET MOVING!"

:-:-:-:-:-:-:

The sun was setting over the western edge of the trees. A warrior blew on a conch shell. The women of the Teo Tribe began to call out to summon the warriors, a practice similar to the Maori ritual, the Karanga. It would be part of a general meeting, but also a welcoming gathering, known as the mihi whakatau. Unlike the pōwhiri, the mihi whakatou is informal. But in this case, with a more urgent matter on hand, it was also a preparation for battle. Kame also walked up and down the line of warriors, brushing them with palm leaves dipped in palm oil, a ritual to bless the warriors and give them the power of the Gods. Just in case. Kame chanted, brushing the palms over their tattoos on their chest, legs and face.

"Come on, Unaki!" Julie said as she dragged the reluctant Paea girl into the center of the village. She'd taped up her arms and her feet, so she could get better grip. She also wore the tribe's traditional war pint. A machete was strapped to her left hip. But other than that, she was barely dressed like the jungle girl she is.

They gathered in the center of the village and listened to the instructions of Chief Manti. "Listen to me, all of you!" he said. "This girl here is named Unaki. She is a member of our cousin tribe, the Paea. The reason we have not heard from them in a long time is because she is their last survivor, aside from the witch who intends to attack us tonight.

"The woman is named Oranta. And according to Unaki, she is a powerful sorceress capable of turning any man or woman into a monkey. If you are not careful, she will do the same to you. Not only that, she commands an army of monkeys that are bearing down on us tonight.

"This. Cannot. Happen. The best of you will come with me out to defend the village. That includes Kaitan and Julie. Kame will stay behind and provide support. Meanwhile, I will need some of our archers to hide behind the wall until the order is given to release arrows.

"If you are to die in battle, take an enemy with you! I know you will be victorious! You are warriors of the Teo Tribe! The Gods shine their favor down on us tonight, and they will deliver us TO VICTORY!!!"

The warriors cheered, shaking their weapons and—

"THERE ARE MONKEYS IN THE VILLAGE!!!"

The cry for help did not go unnoticed. The warriors all turned to find about 30 monkeys storming the village. Women and children screamed in fear as they ran away.

The warriors were ready and needed no orders to fight back. They met their simian enemies and drove the monkeys back with ease. Even if they knew that Oranta was holding back her army. They were scouts, essentially. Weak scouts, but scouts nonetheless. It made things a little clearer now. And they knew that Ortanga was on her way