forty-seven ; the stories hands tell

Start from the beginning

"Stop, Malfoy," she hissed, yanking his sweater's sleeves. "Do you take pleasure in frightening eleven-year old's, or something?"

That one got a steep laugh from Theo--who was cut short by Gemma slapping him. Darcy appreciated that someone understood her.

"Shove off, Black," he hissed back. "Are you going to throw a little fit like you did in Defense class and stomp out if I don't say what--"

Darcy waved her hand and encased a muffliato charm on him. His words were only low rumbles that were barely coherent and a deep sense of accomplishment rang through her body.

She turned to face the other two idiots. "Carbs and Gothyl--or whatever your names are--take your leader out of my sight before I hex you both with worms in your ears." She wiggled her fingers for emphasis, and they scurried over away.

Malfoy turned a dirty eye on her, his open to say something. Darcy squinted at him.

"You say something?" Darcy said, cupping her ear towards him. "Another derogatory insult about my blood? Or perhaps my ethnicity?" She snorted. "Run along, Malfoy. I'm writing you up for detention."

Her distant cousin did do as said and she watched until his body disappeared from sight. Sighing, she sat across from the first year and asked, "What's your name?"

A blunt question, apparently, by the look of his face. He sputtered, "Kade--Abberly."

Darcy raised her eyebrows and quickly glanced at the Ravenclaw table. "Do you happen to be related to Roland Abberly?"

Kade's floppy hair dragged over his forehead and covered his ears, a mess of curls that moved effortlessly as he shook his head yes.

"We're related," Kade interrupted and his cheeks flushed as he too glanced at the Ravenclaw table.

Darcy frowned. Would Roland really keep this a secret--a half brother?

"Oh," she said. "He never said anything about..." Darcy shook her head and gave him a small smile. "Lucky for you, Kade, I happen to be great friends with your brother."

Kade did not smile. "He wouldn't care."

Taken aback, Darcy said, "Why wouldn't he?"

The first year shrugged. "He's my half brother."

Darcy treaded carefully. "Oh, well, I'm sorry to hear that... Does Roland have any family here?" That I don't know about?

"Me, my brother and sister just started here. Orient's in Hufflepuff and Addie's in Gryffindor."

"Triplets?" Darcy sputtered. She threw another glance at the Gryffindor table--where she'd coincidentally met eyes with George. They both waved at each other, and then Darcy turned her attention to Kade. "That's so cool, Kade."

Kade  smiled dimly. Darcy was happy to see that something made him smile--his siblings, minus Roland.

"I wished we were all in Gryffindor, though," sighed Kade. "I've always been left out, because I don't really look like them. I look more like Roland."

"Well, you've both got the red hair," Darcy said and waved a hand towards him. "It's a nice feat."

"We all look different," he said. "It's from our faerie blood."

A deep, steady silence overlaid on top of them. It took Darcy a moment to process the word "faerie" that came out of his mouth.