Chapter 3

Alpha Micheal was being challenged? I never really knew much about Alpha laws, but it was common knowledge that "challenge" meant fight to the death or submit. What could the SilverClaw Alpha possibly want with us?

I hurredly walk back down to the kitchen to tell Agatha. She had been here much longer than I have, maybe she knew something I didnt. Agatha was still teaching little Amelia her math with I came barging in. Our kitchen was quite small, it held a large freezer in the corner tucked into the wall, a steel counter top and island surronding the stove was all that could be really be seen.

"Agatha, do you know who the Alpha of SilverClaw pack is?" I inquired. Agatha jumped, I guess I scared her, "Sorry..."

"Its alright dear, and Im afraid I dont, although Ive heard the whispers from the other Omegas of a new alpha coming to power over there. Why do you ask?" I then looked over to Amelia still sitting on the counter with her doll and an open school book. If this new Alpha came to challege ours, he would take the pack member as well. Who knows how he treats his Omegas. I knew the not knowing would worry Agatha, so I lied.

"Just the whispers of the pack... you how it is..." she nodded. Although Omegas get a bad rap, we know how to listen. I bet somewhere out there is an Omega with enough information to rule an Alpha. Only the dreams of such things keep me afloat sometimes.

Three days later

I once again wake to the sharp jab in my side. This time I was already awake. Something was wrong this time, the jabbing then became shaking, i hurridly rolled over onto my side to see a nervous Amelia. This time ther was no smiles, no giggling, nothing.

"Annie, wake up, somebodies here..." she whispered. My senses automaticly heightened. She didnt need to say it for me to already know. The SilverClaw Alpha was here. I got up out of bed. Amelia took my hand in her tiny one and led me up the staircase into the main dining hall. I expected the loud chatter you would usually recive from the pack. Instead I found utter silence. No one even dared look at each other. The tension was so tense im sure you could cut it with a knife.

With my hand still in hers, she led me into the kitchen. The Omegas were in absoulute panic. There were crying pups and adults trying to shush them. All the others were in a mad rush trying to clean up this mornings breakfast. I walked over Agatha with Amelia now in my arms. As soon as she caught sight of the seven year ild she started to sob.

"DONT YOU EVER, run away from Mommy again like that again. YOU HEAR ME???" Agatha had grabbed her from me and was now holding her tight against her chest.

"What the hell is happening?" I yell. I knew what was happening, but something was wrong. The reaction should not be this terrible. Agatha finally rips her eyes away from Amelias face to notice me.

"While you were asleep, during breakfast, Alpha Micheal came to announce that the Alpha from the SilverClaw pack was coming here, to challege the Alpha." She said with a shaky voice. So what? Alphas came here all the time? Why is everyone flipping out.

"And..." she finishes, "Alpha Micheal says that he has declared war." She completes on the brink of tears. What do you mean war? Why? War never turns out out good for Omegas, mother get separated from children, wolves loose mates. Nothing but bloodshed. Especially when fighting a pack as big as SilverClaws. They have a serous repuatation as being the most power-hungry, ruthless pack of all.

"War?" I almost whisper. At this point I knew that this pack was going to lose, and in wolf term, losing is death. Agatha was now clutching little Amelia tighter to her than I ever thought possible.

"I have to leave, maybe find a new pack, become rogue, anything. I have to stay alive. Not for me, but for Amelia. You understand... right Anna?" She begged. Her voice cracked. She was right, war was no place for an old woman with a small child in tow. Agatha would have no choice but to leave, as an Omega, they would put her on the front lines.

I nodded. "I understand. When will you leave?"

"Sometime tommorrow, hes already here with the Alpha in his office. Let us pray Alpha Micheal can pursade him to call it all off." She answered. Dispite her words, I could see in her eyes that she had already given up hope.

After the breif conversation, work continued. I walked around still sweeping the floors under the pack members feet, the silence is oddly disturbing. There was no casual talking, no faint whispers. Just silence. Everyone kept thede eyes on there plate and never once did there eyes stray. I guess the rising sense of doom was too much.

After I finished sweeping and all the pack left the dining hall, I started my routine of cleaning empty rooms. On the third flokr there were a total of 28 rooms before youd reach the Alpha office. Mid-way through opening door room 25, an overwhelming need to know what was happening hit me.

I slowly creeped down the hall to door 29. Alphas Office was engraved in the silver door as I waited. The more I stood there the more an unusual, yet not quite unfamiliar feeling enveloped me. It seemed at the same time, the smell of spicy cinammon and bitter chocolate hit my nose.

It was utterly indescribable, the knowing something that great was behind this very door. My hand unconsiously reached for the door knob. As I twist it open I come face to face with a greek god. He was at least a head taller than me at a good 6'3, his eyes were a dark green which turned darker at my appearance. His face was sharp, with a jaw line that could kill. His hair was messy, with a few strands that fell down into his eyes. I had to fight the need to touch him. I could tell by the way his fist clenched then, unclenched he felt the same.

Our lips moved in sync to form one perfect audible word. Mate.