Chapter 2

Dedicated to my amazing friend Alanna. Just because.

As you probably guessed, I didn’t return to school after my little scene.  I actually didn’t go back today either. My parents agreed that this experience was traumatizing enough for me to ditch. I’m just glad I don’t have to deal with anybody because that’s the last thing I want to do right now.

I got up out of bed, too lazy to change or even care what I looked like. It’s sad what this world has come to. Isn’t it? I then made my way down the stairs and to the kitchen where I grabbed a granola bar and a tub of ice cream. Oh and a spoon too, can’t forget the spoon. After that, I went into the living room and sat down with the TV remote in one hand and my spoon in the other (yes it is my spoon).

I switched the TV on only to see that the news lit up the screen. Perfect. I was about to change the channel when I saw Elle’s picture.

“Elle Callaway, a 17-year-old junior at Carlson Prep, went missing sometime during the school’s annual winter formal.” The newscaster said. “The only clue found on the scene so far is the young girl’s sparkly high heel.”

I gripped the remote harder and as much as I wanted to change the channel, I ended up turning up the volume.

“This morning Callaway’s phone and clutch which she brought to the dance were found alongside a road a mile from the school. The phone was indeed smashed but no valuables were missing from purse leading the police to believe that the kidnappers’ target was Callaway and not any material goods.”

My breath caught in my throat. It’s official. She’s really been kidnapped and the worst part is that I don’t think these kidnappers will be asking for ransom, something that the Callaway family could definitely pay. No. These people want Elle.

“Police are positive that foul play was involved and have not confirmed whether or not they believe Callaway is alive. An Amber alert has been sent out along with numerous search teams consisting of friends and family.”

“If you know anything about the whereabouts of Elle Callaway please contact this number.” The newscaster said before the image on the screen switched to the anchorman.

“Sounds like a real Cinderella Story.” The anchorman said laughing before I turned the TV off in disgust. How could someone possibly joke about this? I held my knees up to my chest taking deep breaths to keep myself calm.

“This can’t really be happening.” I mumbled to myself. I always knew that people got kidnapped but I never thought that my best friend would.

I sat there in the fetal position think about Elle when a knock at the door scared me. I jumped up looking around frantically before taking a deep breath to calm myself. Then I walked over to the door and checked who it was. Luckily, it wasn’t a killer or a kidnapper. It was just Beau.

“Hey Beau.” I mumbled as I opened the door a bit.

“Hey Brooke…” Beau said looking me up and down. “You look terrible.”

I gave him a look before rolling my eyes.

“What do you want?” I asked glancing around behind him. I’m not in the mood to talk to anybody right now.

“Oh well um,” He began with rubbing the back of his neck and looking anywhere but my face. “I had guessed that you weren’t at school. Not that I would know since I wasn’t there either, I’m assuming for the same reason as you. You know the um incident? And I was just wondering if maybe we could talk or if I could just come in but if that’s not okay that’s totally fine. I’ll just go. I mean, I can stay if you want but I’m prepared to leave at anytime-” Beau rambled before I cut him off.