Chapter 1

I stared in the mirror. My brown hair was curled perfectly. My pale blue eyes were surrounded with a small amount of the makeup girls typically cake their faces with. My lips were now a light shade of pink and my face had a thin layer of foundation disguising any imperfections. On top of all of that, I was in my perfectly neat uniform. I guess you could say that I looked, well, perfect.

I took one last glance at the mirror before I grabbed my backpack and headed out of my room and down the stairs. I walked into the kitchen where my parents were discussing something in harsh whispers. It was most likely something about me so my goal was to get in and out as fast as possible before I got ‘a talk’.

I quickly walked over to the cabinet, grabbed a granola bar and began to rush out of the room and out the house.

“Brooklyn.” My dad called before I could make my escape.

“So close.” I mumbled under my breath before turning around to face them.

“Yes?” I asked innocently.

“Sweetheart we have something to tell you.” My mom said looking sad.

Oh great, a sob story. Yeah I’m not exactly in the mood. Time for Plan B.

“I’m sorry but I’m running late. I really have to go. Maybe you can tell me after school.” I said as I left before they could stop me although I could hear my dad calling me in the background.

I made it out of the house and over to my beautiful red convertible. I hopped right in, throwing my backpack into the passenger’s seat, started the car and then I was off.

I arrived at school on time; parking in my usual space, which was near the front of the school and usually right next to my best friend Elle but her car wasn’t there today. At first I thought that was weird but then I realized that she was probably just ditching to go to the mall or have some alone time with her boyfriend Beau.

Then again, I haven’t talked to Elle all weekend, not since the Winter Formal. She didn’t leave with Kyle, Beau and I. After her big scene with me, she texted Beau apologizing and saying that she had to go early. It was a bit unusual and Beau was pretty upset but after a few minutes we forgot about her and kept partying.

I guess I expected her to text me the next day but then again her early exit from the dance most likely meant she was going out for a drink so I assumed she was hung over or something. She believes that following the law is more of a suggestion than something that’s actually required. Also her attendance at school, that’s apparently a suggestion too, at least it seems that way.

After grabbing my bag and locking the car, I walked in through the front doors of the school alone. Something I hadn’t done in forever. But if that wasn’t strange enough, the second I entered everybody just stopped talking and stared. I looked around confused before deciding to ignore everybody and go to my locker, I guess me without Elle was harder to believe than I thought.

I arrived at my locker, opening it and switching out my books. Then, right on time, my wonderful boyfriend Kyle came up. At least something’s normal today.

“Hey Brooke” He said giving me a hug and light kiss. “How’re you holding up?”

I looked at him confused.

“What? You mean with the stares? I don’t really mind too much although it’d be easier if I knew why everybody was staring or maybe if Elle was here to back me up.” I said glancing around at everybody.

Kyle looked at me in shock.

“Wait you don’t-” He was cut off by my second best friend, Lexi, rushing up to me and giving me a huge hug.