Day 1

[Day 1]

After some breakfast, Grace prepared for the day ahead, she was finally seeing her beloved aunt again after so long. She pulled from her trunk a beautiful cerise gown, this particular design was quite popular in Paris at the moment and cost a bit of money, but fortunately her occupation paid her well enough to afford the finer things. She set her rose gold hair in a neat, up do style, put on her gloves and was out the door. Exiting the hotel into the bright sun, Grace was taken aback by the unusually cheery weather London offered today. When hailing a carriage, she opted for an open top, so she could enjoy the light that rarely shone on the notoriously cloudy city. She watched the landscape go by as she made her way to Charring Cross station.

...

Agnes stood on the platform looking around anxiously for Grace.

"Auntie?"

The Scottish woman turned in the direction the familiar voice came from .

"Ohh, Gracie!"

The women met with open arms and embraced each other.

"Oh, darlin. It's been so long."

"Too long."

Agnes held her niece's shoulders as she stepped back to wholly take her in.

"Aww look at ye. So grown up, and as beautiful as ever."

Grace giggled lightly when her aunt touched her cheek as she complimented her.

"And those clothes, they look like they belong to a duchess. How ever can ye afford such a thing?"

"Auntie, we have much to talk about, but I fear if we start now we'll be here till nightfall."

"Oh, of course. Come, let's get you inside, I have some people I'd like you too meet."

Agnes took her niece's gloved hand and led her to the train.

"Bertha?!" Grace exclaimed in surprise.

"Well who were you expecting? The queen?" Agnes said with a smile.

"Auntie she looks... Amazing!"

"Yeah, I just hope I dinnae make it too la-ti-da. Slapped some gold leaf here an' there. I gave the wood a splash o' shellac, upholstered the lot and wait till you see the lampshades."

Grace looked on in awe as the home she knew, once dilapidated and poorly maintained looked brand new, like something she and her aunt had always dreamed it would be. She stepped onto the familiar locomotive, marvelling at the handiwork close up before entering the carriage fully. Grace noticed a young woman, possibly around the same age as she, with dark brown hair and freckles, seated in a comfortable looking chair with her legs crossed and hands resting on her knee as if waiting for something. Standing beside her was a dark skinned fellow, most likely from India, dressed in a similar fashion as she but his scheme was white. They juxtaposed quite nicely, and she couldn't help but wonder if it was intentional. Her thoughts were broken when Agnes spoke up.

"Alright, Gracie. I'd like ye to meet Miss Frye, and Mr Green.

The former stood and made her way over to the new face.

"Hello Grace , I'm Evie Frye. It's a pleasure to finally meet you."

"And I'm Henry Green, glad to make your acquaintance."

"The pleasure is all mine Miss Frye, Mr Green."

Grace returned the greeting with a slight curtesy, earning a nod from the dark male.