Part 2: Red and Bloodied

AN: Oof I cried a few times while writing this.

Keith had just grown in his Galra fangs when Shiro passed, and he looked much younger than the other paladins. They had to continue defending the universe without their black paladin, no matter how much it hurt.

Keith lead Voltron in the black lion, Allura in blue, and Lance in red. The paladins were in their mid 40's, their skin showing their collections of scars. Letting a heavy sigh push past Keith's lips, he looked over at his boyfriend, Lance. They'd been together for almost 25 years, having made a bond that was almost impossible to be broken. Allura said his name, directing his attention back to the screen that displayed a large planet, discussing her plan for taking it back from the Galra. They were still fighting the never-ending battle with the Galra, but they've made some leeway recently with the Va'Kar quadrant. "Alright everyone, to your lions!"

They regrouped in front of the castle in their lions, Lance making some joke about kicking Galra butt. Keith scoffed, rolling his eyes. Together they flew to the planet, failing to notice the heavily guarded backside. They flew low to the ground while they traveled to the other side, where they received the distress signal. The Galra hadn't noticed them and they hadn't noticed the Galra, touching down to speak to the natives about the issue.

Suddenly it was raining lasers and fire from the Galra ship cloaked above them, and the natives screamed and scrambled back into their homes. "Back to your lions, everyone! Now!" Keith yelled, racing to his lion. He lifted off when everyone made it inside their lions, flying to the side.

The battle lasted what felt like hours, no one winning or losing. Pidge was helping Hunk try to take down their Aion canon, Allura was helping Keith and Lance take out fighters. Lance was speeding around to attack more fighters, not noticing another Galra ship that wormholed in. None of them did, till an Aion beam rammed into the Red lion. An abrupt scream was cut off as the Lion was shut down, crashing into the large Galra ship nearby.

Keith looked around for the Red Lion, looking worried and panicked, seeing a hole in the belly of the first Galra ship. He flew down, landing on the side, his blood going cold. "Allura, help me grab Red. We're leaving." He said as dread pooled in his gut, helping Allura pull Red out of the ship. They all retreated to the castle, Keith racing to the hangar of the Red lion. He put his hand on Red's muzzle, panting lightly. "Red, open up please. Lance? Are you in there?" He asked, pushing apart Red's large jaws, ignoring the screaming pain in his arms and back. He squeezed in, freezing in place. There was a heavy smell of iron, and no noise except for his shaky breathing. He ventured farther into the lion, reaching the cockpit. He almost lost the contents of his stomach, his breath choking in his throat.

There was red everywhere. Not red like the lion, but a rich, dark crimson. He hesitated, unsure if he wanted to confirm it or go back to the team. He lifted a boot, hearing a sickly sticking sound. Blood was splattered onto the floor and coated the walls, control panel, the chair... Keith forced himself to look as he rounded the chair, letting out a mix between a hurt cry and a heavy sigh.

Lance was clutching his chest, breathing shallowly and quickly, his eyes squeezed shut, his face twisted in pain. He was alive. "Lance! It's me, Keith!" Keith put a hand on Lance's stubbled cheek, wiping away the blood that leaked from the corners of his mouth. Lance opened his eyes, smiling faintly. Keith recoiled at the sight of Lance's pale and glazed eyes, looking Lance up and down. "Hey babe, sorry I dirtied Red... I'll be sure to clean her." He said shakily, dropping his hand. A deep cut ran into his chest, shrapnel scattered around the chair and various pieces in his chest, stomach, and one piece in his neck. His left arm was limp, Keith could tell immediately. "Lance, let's get you to a healing pod." Lance nodded, allowing Keith to carefully lift him from the chair, holding onto him. "Allura, Pidge, Hunk, Coran. We need a healing pod ASAP." Keith said over the coms, helping Lance limp out of Red.

Allura made a worried groan from her end. "Blue is acting weird. She's begging me not to go, and she's whimpering and crying." Keith looked up at Lance, who was pale in the brighter light. "Okay, well. Lance is alive, but barely. Get a healing pod. Ignore Blue okay?" Allura accepted the order, running to the healing pods. Lance clutched Keith's shoulder, letting out a weak cry, his knees buckling. Keith did his best to brace Lance and keep him upright, mumbling encouraging and soothing things to him.

Hunk rushed over and helped Keith lift Lance back up, and together they slowly lead Lance to the pods. Lance resisted when they tried to push him into one, looking down at Keith. "Please, Lance. Don't leave me." Keith whispered, pushing him into the pod and closing it anyways.

Days turned into weeks before the pod opened, and Keith was there every minute of every hour. He ignored the sleepiness and immense hunger while he waited, only eating when it was brought to him. An error message was displayed on the screen next to the pod. The other paladins entered the room, seeing the message before Keith did, who was helping Lance out of the pod. "Hey babe, welcome back." He smiled, kissing Lance's forehead. Lance didn't move, making Keith drop his smile. "Lance, this isn't a joke. Please."

"Keith..." Pidge said quietly, reading the screen. "The pod couldn't fix him." Keith looked down at Lance, setting him on the floor. He turned his face and looked into his eyes, feeling his heart shatter. He clutched Lance's empty body to his chest, letting out a broken sob, shaking. The others left the room to let him have his space, except for Hunk. The yellow paladin sat on the other side of Lance, putting a hand on Keith's shoulder. "I'm so sorry, man. There was nothing we could do." He said sadly, pulling his hand away. "Lance was my best friend. We were best friends when we joined the Galaxy Garrison together. We would sneak out almost nightly to get food, talk to girls, or just cause mischief. He taught me some Spanish, he'd go to me for his problems. He practically hated you because you were always better than him. He said it was hate, but it was envy. He flirted with all those girls in attempt to get your attention. He honestly loved you, Keith." Keith was taking deep breaths, trying to calm down his sobbing. "H-He... he showed me how to make garlic knots in the kitchen..." Keith said shakily, gripping Lance's  right hand. "He told me all about his family, his momma, his papa, everyone. He told me stories of his niece and nephew and how together they'd go out and climb trees, build tree houses, cook together, stargaze together and just hang out. He loved his family." His voice broke, looking up at Hunk. Hunk managed to hide his surprise, trying not to stare at Keith's Galra eyes. Keith looked away and down at Lance's face, biting his lip. He leaned down, kissing Lance's forehead. "Because you believed in an afterlife, Lance, I'll see you there." He whispered, sobbing into his chest. Hunk stood, leaving Keith alone with Lance.

Keith pulled away, sniffling, wiping at his eyes with his free hand. "I don't want to let you go." He whimpered, looking at their hands, lifting his hand, putting it against his still heart. Letting go, Keith set Lance down, taking quick and shaky breaths, feeling like he'd lost everything. He told Lance he loved him, running to his room, shutting and locking the door.

Red laid still in her hangar, the cockpit covered in old and dried blood.