Chapter 12. Apple Pie.

_____________________

Chapter 12 – Apple Pie

Lucas' Point of View

Chapter Quote – "Secrets, secrets are no fun. Secrets, secrets hurt someone."

Chapter Song – Smoke Break by Carrie Underwood

--------------------------------

"Doll, you look beautiful."

Scrunching her nose adorably, she huffs and continues to powder her face unnecessarily. "Enough Lucas, you've got me. Enough with the flattery."

Snorting at her insane notion, I snatch the powder and brush from her hands before carelessly tossing it to the side. I don't miss the way her forms into a cute pout, but when she feels my arms snaking around her waist and my chin resting on her shoulder, that all changes. A small smile dances across her lips, visible from the mirror we're facing. "Whether or not 'I have you' doesn't deter me from the truth. You, my love, don't need any of that stuff. Your mom and Maya already saw your face today and you told them what happened."

Not to say that I didn't get a lot of accusatory looks today when escorting my mate to work. The bruising on her face isn't necessarily defined, but it is outlined enough to know what caused it. Maya went so far as to place my hand against the marking. Mine were bigger. I digress, I brought my work to her bakery today after the events of last night haunted my mind. It was a good deal, Riley never left the back and that's where I sat contently all day. "Still, it made my heart hurt when they instantly thought you did something when you wouldn't even hurt a fly."

Well, that's not entirely true and not just because I killed a fly at her bakery today. However, "I won't ever harm a strand of hair on your head. You're mine to take care of and spoil for the rest of our lives."

My lips pressed against the slightly chilled area of her neck. I grinned when goosebumps formed across the ivory area. When my eyes met hers again in the mirror her mouth was turned into a frown. "I know that werewolves live longer lives." I nod, agreeing with that statement. We aren't immortal, eventually we will die of old age, we just age incredibly slow. The oldest recorded werewolf is actually an elder in our pack at three hundred and forty-two years old. "Will I – since I'm your mate, will I live as long as you?"

My body turns rigid, even though Gabriel and I both knew that this conversation would come up. However, tonight's impending conversation is going to change everything. "Let's not worry about that tonight –

Before I can finish my sentence, she's turning around in my arms and caressing my face with her tiny hands. Riley's bottom lips is pulled into a pout – a genuine pout, not one she normally uses to get her way. "I just – I, you've been alone for so long Lucas. I don't want me being a h-human to –"

"Oh baby," I whisper then pull her into my chest. "My sweet girl." My lips press against her temple as small sobs tumble out of her mouth. Shushing her lightly, my arms lift Riley off the ground so I can sway her from side to side. It takes a few minutes to get her to calm down. I wasn't lying yesterday when I said that she was the sweetest thing. Riley is so selfless and I don't know what I did right in life to be blessed with Riley as my mate but Goddess I would wait hundreds of years to meet her if need be.

Finally, she pulls her head out of the crook of my neck only to fiddle with her fingers avoiding eye contact. She's so adorable, "I don't want you to worry about that right now baby doll. We'll figure it out like we have been as we go." My forefinger lifts her chin, forcing her to look me in the eyes so she can see how serious I am. I need her to understand how honest I'm being. "No amount of time with you will ever be enough. It wouldn't matter if you were a human or werewolf. I will cherish every moment with you my beautiful girl." Her beautiful chocolate brown eyes had tears in them once more, this time for an entirely different reason. Happy tears flooded her orbs before she began giggling wildly.