Chapter 10. Fruit Tart.

_______________________

Chapter 10 – Tart

Chapter Song – There Goes My Everything by Kane Brown

Chapter Quote – "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing." – Albert Einstein

Content Warning: Language

----------------------------------------

At the young age of five, a mere pup, I remember watching my father.

He was my idol, the man I wanted to mold myself to become and the kind of Alpha I am still striving to be. My dad was the male you read about in story books; he survived many wars, almost died twice to save some of his pack members, and the best father any pup could ask for. Brave, kind and loving were just a few adjectives that were mentioned at his memorial service. From the moment, I understood a pack dynamic, my eyes were trained on him.

Watching, learning and forming them into my very being like a second skin.

I'd be captivated at how he could rule with an iron fist. His dominating, firm voice never wavered when stating a decision that had to be made for the well-being of the pack. Even when I knew it was an indecisive and unpopular one. His stance, decisions and pure ferociousness on the battlefield deemed him a force to be reckoned with when stories were spoken. But those were in other packs. In our pack, during times of peace, my dad was known as being kind and generous. We would take time out of my training to go and visit the elderly and young pups, 'because they need to trust their leader', he'd say before I'd even had a chance to complain.

He was an amazing Alpha male.

It wasn't until I met Riley that I finally understood what an incredible mate he was to my mother. I was always a momma's pup, embarrassingly so. I loved watching her eyes fill up with pride, and up until I heard it was 'uncool', which was around age nine, I loved the cheek kisses I'd get from my mom. It was then that I couldn't stomach the affection my parents had for one another. The fucking googly eyes he'd make towards my mom while she was watching a movie, or while my mom danced around the kitchen, were insane to me.

I was fucking nine years old, how the hell was I supposed to know that cooties don't truly exist?

I digress. Every time, I'd scrunch my nose up at the gentle touches or quick pecks, my father was quick to correct me. 'Learn to separate yourself son. Be an Alpha, but also be a mate. You'll learn.' Then he'd ruffle my hair, create a goofy face and make me laugh before stalking off towards my mom once more.

It wasn't until Riley that I truly understood what he meant by 'be an Alpha, but also be a mate'. The moment my eyes peeled open to the sun beaming in through the windows of Riley's bedroom, my phone was consistently buzzing. As if there was one long, never-ending phone call. For the first time though, I didn't care. As an Alpha, I'll always want what is best for the pack. In this case, what's best for the pack is me spending some undisturbed time with my mate. "Ugh," I groaned and made a move to roll over and cuddle into Riley, only to find her spot empty and cold. I swear to the Goddess, if she left for work, I'll turn her ass red.

Throwing the blankets off my legs, I stalk out of her brightly decorated bedroom and into the dimly lit hallway. As the scent of strawberries mixed with something even sweeter became stronger, the size of my strides became slimmer until I came to a complete halt at the doorway of the kitchen. The cutest sight in the world greeted me.

Dark rimmed glasses were perched on the tip of her nose. Her entire face was scrunched up in concentration as she stared at the laptop in front of her, while her hair rested sloppily on top of her head. Riley's over-sized sweater that she must have changed into this morning was falling off the shoulder. The skin of her collarbone was pure, untainted and clean. Goddamn it was calling out to me like a siren, beckoning me forward to mark and mate her. Gabriel howled at the idea, only making the urge stronger. "Good morning my beautiful girl," I whispered while sauntering towards her. Her deep chocolate eyes snapped towards my face only to dwindle about a foot lower. My bare chest was on display, not that I thought about that when I went on the hunt for her this morning. By her dilated pupils and the way she's licking her lips I'm glad I didn't.