Chapter 9. Brownies.

______________________

Chapter 9 – Brownies

Riley's Point of View

Chapter Song: Circles by Jana Kramer

Chapter Quote: 'Just the thought of you around, gets my head spinning in circles. Just the way you say my name gets my heart turning in circles.' – Jana Kramer

------------------------------------

"So, you're a werewolf?"

Lucas noticeably gulps, the knot in his throat pushing down before receding back to its natural position while I'm trying to process everything I've seen within the last twenty-four hours. "Yes. I wanted to tell you before our relationship got to deep."

Well, that's noble. Point for him.

When I woke up around two o'clock in the morning, Lucas was waiting for me. Green eyes were bright as they stared down at me, however my nose immediately caught the scent of the steak and potatoes he brought. My stomach made its protest known, EAT NOW, it told me. So, of course I did what was asked before hardly speaking to him. I was polite of course, saying thank you for the food and giving him casual small smiles as he ate with me.

I tired anything and everything to prolong this conversation, because I just don't know what to say. I even took note of how bare his room is. Plain white curtains billowed out from the breeze the open windows let in. His king-sized bed was rather plain, black frame with a grey comforter and surprisingly, white sheets. But aside from the nightstands and dresser, there was nothing. No random papers lying about, no pictures or anything. My room is the exact opposite of his, it's so cold which is so unlike the Lucas I've come to know. The Lucas who will hold me at any available opportunity, the one who consoled me after my landlord visited me and changed my locks while I slept peacefully, this whole room just doesn't fit him. "Thank you," he whispers breaking the deafening silence, "for not running." He tacks on, sensing my confusion.

A humorless laugh shakes my shoulders, "I think any normal, emotionally stable, human might have. Lucky for you, I'm not normal nor am I emotionally stable."

A delicious chuckle rumbles his chest, my eyes lock onto his own as they slowly die out. "You don't seem scared of the idea of werewolves."

Shrugging, I place the plate of food on his nightstand and pull the blankets up to my chest. "If you were going to hurt me, you would have by now. You've had ample opportunities and nothing. I admit, the only thing I know about werewolves are that they turn into wolves. My dad used to have a book on them, when I was twelve, that I wanted to read, but the next day when I went to find it – since there was nothing else to read in the house and I'm a nerd – it was gone."

Lucas' brows pinch together, somehow making even more adorable. How does he do that? "I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. Humans in the past decade have become obsessed with supernatural creatures. It was that movie series, Moonlight or something."

"I've never seen those." He seems shocked, wide eyes and mouth agape. "Don't look at me that way. I've seen the 'Underworld' series, but that's the only thing that could relate to werewolves. I just, vampires freak me out and then you have the worst female lead. I've seen commercials, so I get the gist of the series." His chuckles prevent me from talking anymore. I just watch him, the way his shoulders move and muscles flex. Lucas is perfect physically and so far, emotionally. Nibbling at my lip, I glance up at him through my lashes. "You'll have a lot to teach me."