Chapter 19

"You were friends with him? When were you planning on mentioning this, huh?" Jeff snapped. This wasn't good.

"I-I didn't really remember until now!" Was all you could manage, you didn't want an angry Jeff. It would end with your blood on the floor.

"Well isn't that convenient?" Jeff hissed. You felt anger bubble up inside you until you could no longer contain it.

"Do you think I wanted this?! Do you think I wanted my best friend to get beaten, then drowned? He was all I had! My parents were nothing but alcoholics, my brother was abusive, Ben was all I had!" You yelled. You took a deep breath in and lowered your voice,"Ben taught me how to love. But it was all in vain." Your voice was now nothing but a whisper, barely audible to Jeff.

"I know what that's like, to love someone and then watch them leave. My brother..." Jeff took in a breath, as though he didn't want to talk about it,"I-I loved him. I really did. But the night that my sanity snapped...I killed him. I was the one that ended his life." His eyes became glassy, as though he were about to cry. He hissed in pain as the salty tears stung his permanently open eyes.

"Jeff I'm sorry," you said,"I had no idea."

"It was us." Jeff said.

"'It was us'? Who's us? What-what did you do?" Your voice began to crack, eyes began to tear.

"We were the ones who took Ben."