Chapter 18

"Scarlett?"

I stir, feeling like I'd been trotted on by a horse. A loud ringing noise is consuming me and my wrists sting like there's no tomorrow. Where are we?

"Father! It's Scarlett! My word, it's Scarlett! You must speak with Aunt Thalia!"

"You know this girl?" I hear the voice of my kidnapper ask, surprised.

"Yes, she is my cousin! She has been missing for so long, we thought her to be dead!"

Peter?!

"She is the daughter of King Balberis. This must be some kind of mistake..."

"But it isn't his daughter, it is she!" I feel arms snake behind my back and under my knees, lifting me up. I believe it to be Peter because the movements are gentle and careful, unlike the spies.

"Peter, son, wait," I hear Uncle Xavier walking over. "How can that be Scarlett? This child is a demon clearly. Our Scarlett is not."

"It is makeup, Father. She was disguised with makeup." I feel a finger wiping hard at my face and a gasp follows. I want so badly to open my eyes, but I fear what will happen to me if I do.

"Are you sure she's the daughter of King Balberis?" Uncle Xavier questions his spies.

"Positive, sire. When we captured her, she had already been taken by fellow demons who were trying to get her back to the palace. She had run away and we followed her out toward the border."

"I see," Uncle Xavier sighs. "Well, thank you for your contribution gentlemen. We shall seek for more information as soon as she awakens."

"Our pleasure," he says and I hear footsteps exiting and also a pair of footsteps coming closer again. I assume it's Uncle Xavier and if I wasn't playing unconscious, I'd be panicking.

"Oh, Peter," he sighs. I feel a piece of hair move by my forehead. "I fear the soldiers are right. I fear Scarlett really is the daughter of King Balberis and that would make your aunt Thalia a criminal."

"Father, no! You can't kill them! They're family," Peter fidgets a great deal and Uncle Xavier inhales deeply.

"I would never kill them, but they may have to be confined, especially now that we're at war."

"Here in the castle?"

"Of course. At least Thalia shall. We may have to do something else with your dear cousin if she truly is his daughter. He'll most likely be coming for her."

They pause for a minute. "Do you think she knows of Grandfather's passing?"

"I know not, but she soon shall if she does not. Son, you can put her down. She is safe here. Set her next to my throne and go get a washcloth to clean off the makeup. I will go find Thalia."

"Yes, Father," Peter obeys and I feel him walk for a few moments before he gently places me on the carpet beneath the throne. As soon as he's placed me comfortably, I hear his footsteps on the tile and I open my eyes, hoping Xavier really did leave so I don't get interrogated.

I slowly sit up, looking down at my rags. It's amazing that Peter recognized me through my disguise, especially after all these months. But then again, we did everything together as children. We studied, played, and talked through our years in this palace and it made us the greatest friends imaginable. I'm more than positive that's how he received my secret so well and why he helped me.

"You're awake!" I turn to see his beautiful blue eyes beaming at me as he approaches me with a very wet rag. He kneels beside me and starts wiping off the layers of foundation that I applied.