Chapter 14

When I awaken from my state of unconsciousness, I find myself with Carlita, the maid that fetched my father water the day I met him. She is sitting by my chair, placing a cool rag against my forehead.

"My, you took quite the fall," she says as I scoot up in the chair, looking around. "How do you feel, your highness?"

I look at her, feeling confused and quite anxious. "I don't know. How angry is my father?"

She purses her lips. "If you must know, he's very upset about what happened, but he also hopes you get well quickly."

I groan, pulling the scarlet material away from my skin to help with air flow. I start to get up, but she puts her arm out and pushes in the opposite direction quite forcefully. I open my mouth to protest, but all she needs to say is "king's orders" for me to shut my mouth and return to my resting position.

Carlita keeps a cool rag on my forehead for a while longer before she hears word that the king is coming to check on things. She then puts the rag on the ground and starts to tidy me up. Thankfully, my dress is still is great shape, but my face is a different story.

"It appears you hit your cheek on the ground," her red eyes study my cheek and she touches it gently, but thankfully doesn't rub off any makeup. If my father was reminded of his half human daughter, he might lose his mind. Hopefully the wet rag didn't ruin the foundation too much.

"How bad?" I ask, biting my lip. It doesn't hurt at all, but I do feel sore on my right side.

"It's about the size of a red grape, but very widespread," she sighs and tucks a bunch of hair behind my ear.

"He's going to freak," I clench my teeth tightly. "I fear what he may say."

"I'm sorry, child. Just try to be understanding of your father. He doesn't know what he's doing. He's only known about you for a few months."

"That doesn't explain why he acts as if I'm a disappointment to him," I say, looking down at the floor. "I feel like I'm never enough for him."

"He loves you very much, I do know that," she smiles gently, curtsies, and picks up her rag. "I must go, Princess, but please let me know if there's anything I can do for you."

"Thank you, Carlita," I look at her apologetically, feeling bad that she has to deal with my irritable father. She just smiles gently, slipping out the door.

My father takes a few minutes to arrive, which is far too long for my liking. It gives me time to think about everything that could go wrong with marrying me off to Perseus. To begin, I can't imagine he would appreciate his offspring having human DNA pulsing in their veins. I also can't imagine he would appreciate me visiting my human family, seen as how my own father won't even allow it.

"I take it you're not feeling much better," my father's voice makes me jump almost out of my chair and I look at him, very surprised.

"Father!" I exclaim, sitting back and up tall in my chair, trying to be ladylike. "I wasn't aware of your arrival."

"It was hard to tell," he says, though I can't tell if he's being sarcastic or trying to be personable. He keeps a straight face and comes over, sitting next to me in the parallel violet chair. My nerves are screaming at me to run, but I try to stay focused despite my fear.

"I'm so sorry, Father," I say, though I avoid eye contact. "It was never my intention to go unconscious at such an important moment. I feel ashamed of my actions."

"What's done is done," he sighs, crossing is legs and folding his arms. "I just care that you're well."

I bite my lip, wishing I was, but I am not. I miss my human family and I fear my future in demon territory. Though Carlita told me to be patient with my father, he must know that I can't marry Perseus.