Chapter 16

Stupid Scarlett. What were you thinking? You have no idea where they live....

I've been running for some time now and it hit me that I don't even know this town, let alone where they live. Unfortunately, my athletic ability is suffering thanks to being cooped up for so long and I'm running out of energy. Finally, I decide to go find the library, the only place I can actually identify, and see if the librarian might have an idea where they live.

As I approach the main part of town, I slow to a fast walk so no one will suspect me. There are occasional guards posted throughout town to keep the people safe, but there's no doubt they'll be summoned if my father finds out I'm gone. I have to do anything to give myself more time.

It takes a good ten to fifteen minutes to find the library entrance, time I don't have to spare. I slide in and remove the hood of my cloak, smiling at the librarian.

"Hello, sweetie," she smiles, stacking a few files at her desk as she greets me. "What can I do for you today?"

"I have a very odd request actually," I say, walking to the edge of her desk. "I am looking for some friends and I don't know where they live. I'm not from this part of town and I don't know my way around here."

"What are their names?" she wonders, pulling out a drawer in her desk to look for a file.

"Blaize, Brienne, and Brim," I tell her, realizing I don't even know their surnames.

"Do you have their last name?" she asks, pushing her glasses further up her nose.

"No," I frown. She nods and starts digging again, but she quickly straightens up and looks enthusiastic.

"Brienne! Oh my goodness, are you talking about the blacksmith's daughter? If so, they live a street to the left and inside a shop. The shop is their living quarters. Go there and if it's not her, come back!"

"Thank you so much!" I curtsy out of habit, probably not a good one to be in, and hurry out the door. I take a sharp left, throwing my hood on and start speed walking toward the blacksmith's shop, whose sign I can see immediately after exiting the library. I don't see any guards roaming around, so I'm not sure I've been discovered as missing yet.

Slowing to a casual pace, I enter the shop, hearing a small bell ring upon my entrance. A small, older man is standing at the counter with a small, yet weary smile. He's covered with sooty smears through his balding hair and his clothes are also stained. He's not too tall, but he isn't really thin either.

"Hello," he greets me as I approach him. I take off my hood and set it behind my back, looking around at all the tools and metals on display. If this is Brienne's father, I can see why he's too busy to notice her absence most of the time.

"Sir, do you have a daughter named Brienne here?" I wonder, giving him a warm smile. He wipes his sooty hand on a cloth and nods.

"I do, let me go see if she's here," he walks into the back and I begin to admire some of the items he has for sale. Of all, a piece of jewelry sticks out, which surprises me. I guess our blacksmiths weren't into the whole jewelry thing like this. It appears to be a bracelet and is accompanied by thick beads. It's beautiful; I wonder how he made it.

"She isn't here...," he pauses, almost like he's waiting for me to finish his sentence. I look at him, trying to figure out what he's trying for.

Oh! He doesn't know my name.

"Scarlett," I respond. His eyebrows furrow.

"Isn't that the name of the newly found princess?" he asks, narrowing his eyes at me. I pout a little; either demons are terrible communicators, or all the ones I've met are. Brienne didn't tell him she helped find me?