Chapter 9

We share our tender moment a little longer before duty calls for my father. He sends his maid to prepare bed chambers for me and while I wait, he allows me to sit on the steps, though away from the base of it so he can continue speaking with peasants. He insists I wear my hood again and I agree; if anyone else threatens to kill me, I may shrink in self pity.

While he consults with his people, I can't help but stare at his face. His white skin, his sharp jaw, and those piercing red eyes are almost exactly how I pictured him, but he is much taller and broad than I expected. Regardless, my heart is filled the most joy I've felt in ages. 

As soon as my father is done seeing the peasants, he guides me into the living part of the castle to show me my living quarters for the next little while. I feel a little unsteady with the thought of having my own chambers, but I know I will be protected as long as I'm in my father's castle. 

 "So what is your name, my child?" my father asks once we have left the public part of the castle. There are only a few of his soldiers guarding parts of the castle and though I fear one of them will hear our conversation, my father seems to have no fear, so we continue. 

"Scarlett," I tell him, unable to help but feel sorrow that he doesn't know the name of his own daughter. It is rather elegant compared to the names they have here, but I'm hoping he'll like it, or at least accept it.

"Scarlett? Ah, I'm guessing your mother named you after your eye color?" he chuckles as if he doesn't understand why she would do something such as that. 

"Perhaps," I say. "She seemed to like the color beyond that, however."

"It's beautiful."

"Thank you, sire," I do a small curtsy, which feels out of place; I spent my whole life as the lady people curtsied to, not the other way around.

"Father will suffice," he beams. "I still can't believe I have a daughter."

"And I can't believe I'm here with you. I didn't think it was possible, but I couldn't bear to keep myself hidden any longer, so I left," I explain. "I can't wait to get back and tell my mother! She will be so-"

"You're not going back, sweetheart," my father interrupts quite abruptly. "It's far too dangerous."

My heart falls. "But I must! She has to be so heartbroken due to my disappearance. Perhaps there's a way we could unite the two kingdoms and-"

"Scarlett, honey, do you even hear yourself, love?" he says. "That's impossible. It won't ever happen, do you understand that?"

"But it must!" I disagree. "You are so quick to not believe! I can unite these two kingdoms. As soon as my mother finds out I'm here, she can speak with my grandfather and he can speak to you about some kind of treaty and-"

"You're not going to the human world and the kingdoms are not uniting. My, you are ambitious, child," he gestures around the next hallway and I look at him with torment washing over my soul. I journeyed to this land to find peace but somehow my heart is being racked with more confusion. 

"Father, I will find a way to bring peace throughout this land," I declare bravely. "The humans are as much my people as the demons and I cannot bear to watch more suffering from this adversity."

"We'll see," he says, stopping in front of a large, elegant door. "As for now, you are under my protection and rule and I'll make sure you don't get anywhere near that border. I'm sorry, Scarlett, but you're my child and I must protect you." 

"Yes, Father," I look at the floor sadly. Part of me begs to keep arguing with him. I found a way to get to the demon world despite my grandfather ruling the kingdom, so I'm sure I can find a way to get things past my father as well. 

"Thank you," he smiles slightly and slides the door open to my bed chambers. Though I feel like I'm back in the human world with rules, I cannot help but marvel at all the intricate designs all over the walls and floors of the castle, shocked as we enter my chambers for the next while. The main part of the room is white and is accompanied with a very light pink and green while the more complicated designs are in gold. 

"This is absolutely beautiful," I spin around in my ruined dress and take my hood off, gazing dreamily at the sparkling chandelier above the bed. This is far better than my bed chambers at my grandfather's castle, especially because I had to share with my mother. It's almost as if I truly was in a fairy tale and could be who I am without trying to be killed for it. Even being stuck as a servant girl for a stepmother would be far better than being a princess in disguise. 

"Do you like it?" my father's red eyes watch me as I excitedly explore my new environment. 

"Yes, more than ever. Thank you," I say, opening up the closet doors. I'm not surprised to find them empty; my father is doing an excellent job even preparing a room for me, let alone having everything for the daughter he didn't know he had. 

"I'll send for my best seamstress as soon as possible and I'll send my maid to the market to obtain a foundation makeup most similar to my skin color so you look like my daughter," he says. "You'll have to let me know what else a girl needs to live, but I think that should mostly do it." 

"That should do well," I nod, yawning. I did not realize how poorly rested I feel until now and the bed looks extra comfortable after spending so much time without a nice bed. 

"I'm going to leave you here to sleep," he says, walking over to the closet where I'm standing. I watch him and hug him when he opens his arms up. "I can tell you're exhausted."

"Before you go, may I ask a favor?" I ask. 

"Absolutely," he nods, brushing a piece of my black hair out of face. It feels so nice to have my natural hair color and not worry about anyone turning me in to my grandfather. 

"When I am fully rested, may I please contact my friends, the ones who helped me get here? I want to know what it is like to be a demon. I only know what it is like to be human." 

"I will gladly send for them when you are fully rested," my father smiles and lets go, bowing his head at me as he exits the chambers. I smile, taking in his image as if this was a dream that was about to end. He's here. He's with me. He knows I exist and he loves me exactly how I am, even with my mother's traits. 

I decide to remove my cloak before getting into the bed, ready to relax for the first time in days. It's been an exhausting ride and no matter what my father thinks, I will find a way to bring peace to the kingdoms so I can run free. I will make my next dream come true.