Mannanon mac Lir

They walked up the creaking wooden steps, Puck in front, then Star, with Callie behind, holding onto her elbow--it seemed a mere formality, not like any of her captors really found her that threatening.

I'm walking inside a tree, she thought. With a goat man and an owl girl. Can my day get any stranger?

Yes, it can. I also can heal scratches with this white spot on my head!

She shook her head and told herself to just focus on the moment.

As they climbed the steps got smaller and narrower. There was no light at first, as the first bend of the stair cut off sight of the opening below. But after a few moments she noticed light from above. And then Puck rounded a bend and she followed him out into the open.

They stood in a forest of gold and silver.

The tree trunk glistened silver, and the hickory shaped leaves rustled brilliant gold on the breeze. The feel in the air was of autumn, yet she noticed many colored flowers blooming beneath the trees.

In the distance she could see what looked like a shining city, made of crystal or some similar substance. Sunlight shone behind it and gleamed whitely with light.

"Welcome to Taraneh," said Puck. "And I apoligize that you enter it in the state of a captive. But I'm sure it'll all be sorted out--eventually."

"How comforting," said Star, dryly. "At least, I think."

"I suppose we must take her to the palace of Llyr?" said Callie.

"Yes," said Puck. "Though we should have had Finna come. She might have talked her father around."

"Hmph," said Callie skeptically. "I noticed she was real anxious to stay behind. Can't say I blame her."

"This way," said Puck. "The shore is nearby."

Llyr, Star thought, as she followed them through the tree. A sharp sea salt scent arrested her nostrils and she heard the distant crash of waves on a rocky shore. Llyr was the name of a Celtic god associated with the sea. Could there be any connection?

They  broke through the trees and Star stumbled to a halt, for she had never seen the ocean before. Mouth open, she took in the scene.

A craggy castly of grey stone perched on a rocky green promintory, and below it, ran the sea, racing up against the rocky shore, crashing  loudly and rushing back towards the blue horizon.

No matter how much trouble I have coming, she  decided, that view was worth seeing.

***

Inside the castle it was considerably darker and gloomier. Even the sound of the waves barely penetrated the thick, damp walls of stone. Star shivered in the drafty hall as a soldier reported to the group that Llyr was not present--but his son Mannanon would see them.

"Mannanon!" Callie whispered. "Luck is with us."

"Indeed." Puck gave an impish grin and actually whistled.

Mannanon. There must be a connection. In the Celtic myths, Llyr had a son, Mannanon mac lir, another deity of the waves.

The soldier led them through the castle, up several flights of stairs and out onto a balcony.  A large man stood, arms behind his back, watching the sea. At their approach he turned.

Mannannon was taller than anyone she'd ever met she realized. Not fat, but extremely muscular, with a youngish face--he didn't look over 30 to her--and a reddish blond beard clipped closely around his face. Swathed in garments of blue and green, he looked every inch an immortal being guarding the waters of the deep.

"Welcome friends of Finna!" He gave a rolling laugh. "And what is this little bird you've caught in the outer watches of Tareneh?"

"A human maid," said Puck, "Who displays an ability for magic. Though," he added. "It appears both unwitting and with no ill intent towards others."

"I see," said Mannanon, and stepped closer. He bent down and peered at her. Slowly he let out a whistle. "A silver star," he gasped softly. "Well, well, well now. Do tell."

"Yes," said Puck. "Exactly."

Mannanon straightened up and he the goat man shared a look. Star didn't know what they were thinking but she knew it must have something to do with that mysterious name. Cale, wasn't it?

"Yes, well," said Mannanon. "I see it is up to me to make a decision. My father is absent for a week, and the Council will not meet until then. They will then of course, decide what needs to be done with the young lass. But in the meanwhile, as she obviously poses no threats to anyone, I see no reason for magical confinement. In fact, I decree that young Cailleach here, shall take her home with her, providing naturally she keep a close eye on the human lass the entire time."

Callie's face glowed. "A week home sir?" she exclaimed, eyes shining. "Oh yes sir, I shall be glad to do it, sir!"

Mannanon chuckled. "I've no doubt of that. The young lady will not mind her stay too much I'm thinking with that wild warren of yours to amuse her. By the way lassie, what is your name?"

"Star," she said, speaking for the first time. "Starlynn Norwood."

"Very well, Oh Star of the North Wood," he said, giving a solemn bow. "Welcome to Taraneh, and may your stay prove--profitable to us all."

Indeed, she thought. To myself as well. If one can't uncover who they are in a fairy-like world full of Celtic sea gods, well I ask you, what is the use of having them?

"I shall send Bran to help Finna and yourself," Mannanon told Puck. Bran, she thought. Another name she knew--also a son of Llyr.

"Thank you, sir." Puck was grinning.

They made their farewells and Star followed Callie down the stairs. "Wait till you meet my family," Callie was saying, chattering a mile a minute with excitement, and seeming to forget completely that her companion was both a human and a captive. "You've never met anyone quite like us before I'm sure!"

And when Star finally glimpsed the giant, rickety mansion, perched atop three tall redwood  trees, she had a feeling Callie was right.