Just add water part 2

You stumbled on your new feet as you walked beside L toward a massive building. You didn't know the when you turned human, you didn't exactly have proper clothes. You still had your shell top, but all you had below the waits was a bikini bottom. And one that looked like seaweed for that fact, gross. So what did you do? Took L's towel from the beach and used it as a skirt.

"You're picking up on walking surprisingly fast" L said.

"It's actually pretty easy" you replied.

Thanks to Light and Miss wanting to go shopping, it got late. You only had about 10 minutes to get into the water and out of sight before you grew a tail again.

"Well I guess a quick introduction to the task force then we should get you into the water... the question is... where?" L said.

"A pool? A bathtub?"

"Actually... there's a water fountain on the rooftop... don't ask why it just sort of happened"

"I'm fine with sitting in a water fountain all night" you replied.

"Water fountain it is then!"

You walked into the building and saw a bunch of detectives turn to look at you.

"This is (y/n), we hired her a while ago and met up with her at the beach" L lied.

"Wow! She looks like a mermaid!" One of the detectives said.

You tensed up a little.

"Like, the shell top and the wavy hair, it looks so mythical"

"That's enough Matsuda"

You felt your feet start to tingle.

"Well, I'd love to chat but I'm really tired..." you said.

"I'll show you to your room"

L pulled you out into the hallway.

"Nows a good time to try running!" You said, booking it up the stairwell before you turned back into a mermaid.

L sprinted after you, both of you quickly making it to the rooftop, you spotted the fountain by a rooftop garden and ran toward it. You jumped and transformed mid air, landing in the fountain with a splash.

You sat up quickly and spat out all the water you'd swallowed. L laughed at your reaction and walked over, sitting in the side of the fountain.

"Well that was a rush" you said.

"That honestly looked kind of fun" L replied.

Something told you that L was acting differently around you. Something about the sudden change in behavior from the beach to HQ to here made you think he actually trusted you better than the others, even if you were a mermaid.

"You know... you'd made a good merman" you said.

"I would?"

"Yeah, I can picture it, a long sparking blue tail, a fishnet belt, scales scattered across the cheeks..."

"I'd make a pretty bad merman, I can't swim that well" he said.

There was a pause for a moment.

"Actually... why do boys pull off their shirts like it's nothing but girls don't?" You said.

"You don't know?"

"I've never met a boy, there are no mermen pods around Japan. Legend says they were taken by the kraken, but I just think they prefer the warmer waters" you explained.

"Well, I guess is because we don't have anything to hide"

"You don't?"

You grabbed the rim of his shirt and began to pull it up, only to be stopped by his hands pushing it back down.

"What are you-"

"C'mon, I'm a mermaid! I've never seen!" You pouted.

"Well... it's not special" L said, his cheeks going slightly pink.

"Fine... what about your jeans?"

You grabbed the rim of his jeans and pulled at them, making the top of his blue boxers show. He jumped back and yanked them back up.

"Definitely not!"

"Aww... I'm just curious"

"That's what porn is for..." he mumbled under his breath.

"Huh?"

"Nothing, never mind"

You suddenly got an idea, just to tease the guy. You felt a smirk grow across your lips. You held out a hand for him to grab.

"Hey, help me out, when I try and sit in the side my hands slip" you said.

He grabbed your hand, but you gave a hard yank and pulled him into the water, he leaned with a splash and sat up almost instantly, shaking his hair out of his face. You laughed at you little joke and watched his reaction.

"Hey!"

"You said it looked like fun!"

"That's not when I meant..." he laughed.

There was a moment of silence after you calmed down. 

"You know, I'd much rather be a merman, you don't have to solve cases 24/7" L said.

"Sadly I can't make anyone into a mer-person, that stuff is all just legends" you said.

"Damn... at least I can have a mermaid as a friend"

"Yeah, I feel like I'm going to have fun here"

"I think you will, at least I hope you do"

"I can't wait to learn about human life" you said.

"You've got a long way to go, but I think you'll get there" he replied.

You chatted under the stars in that water fountain for what seemed like days, but was really just a few hours. Eventually L got cold, you didn't blame him, humans aren't as used to cold waters as mermaids are. He decided to go inside and 'sleep'.

"Well I had fun today" you said.

"So did I, it's not everyday you meet a mermaid" he said.

"Before you go, come back here for a second" you said.

He walked back over and leaned down to your level, you placed a kiss against his cheek and smiled at him. He put a hand on his cheek, where you kissed him, a slight pink across his cheeks.

"Good night Lawliet"