Chapter 2

Murphy's POV

"So, where are we going?" I asked Chuck as we got inside the elevator

"So, where are we going?" I asked Chuck as we got inside the elevator. "Some place I found out by Ops." He answered and I nodded looking straight ahead. "You look beautiful today." He said and I glanced at him. "Thanks, you look handsome as always." I complimented and he smiled. "How's Max? I hear they're bringing him in tomorrow." I said looking at him. "He's doing great, he misses you." He answered and this time I smiled.

"Um, Muppet, can I, um, hold your hand?" He asked shyly and put his opposite hand on the back of his neck, I looked down at his hand and I intertwined our fingers. "Yes." I answered and the elevator doors open, he comes out first and I see we were on the roof. "I thought we were going to dinner." I said to him as he lead me over a railing. "I know how much you loved peanut butter and jelly sandwiches when we were little, so I managed to get a hold of some here with your favorite drink, apple juice and a side of brownies." He said showing me a laid out picnic set.

"I feel like a little kid again." I chuckled and he smiled, we both sit on top of a large bathroom towel and in front of us was a lamp that had a candle in it. "I actually thought you were going to reject me." Chuck said handing me my sandwich and we both began to eat. "I feel younger doing this." Chuck said looking at me as I took a bite of my sandwich and nodded.

"I feel like I'm 15 again." I said and he nodded taking a bite of his, I picked up my cup drinking some juice and set it down. "Muppet, why didn't you ever join me in the Striker Eureka?" Chuck asked me and I took in a breath. "Do you remember when I did the Drift with Raleigh?" I asked him and he nodded. "We weren't connected like I was to you, and it was odd Drifting with him, but when I connected with him, it was the worst pain I could feel." I said looking at my bitten sandwich. "And after that, I was so scared to connect with others who weren't my brother or you." I added and he grabbed my free hand.

"That will never happen again, because you are the strongest person I know, and it won't happen again." He reassured me and I looked at him. "They told me if I wasn't connected to the recruit, then I'd have to do both hemispheres alone." I said and his eyes widened. "Muppet, that's dangerous, last time a man did it he died, it's a lot of stress on your brain." He said and I shook my head at him.

"When my brother was unconscious on the mission, I managed to get the Jaeger to kill a category four, and I wasn't tired at all, no pain whatsoever." I said and he let out a sigh staring at me. "If that doesn't work out, you can always Drift with me." He said and I gave him a smile. "I'm not a damsel in distress, beaver. I've got in under control." I said and he nodded, I looked ahead at the moonlight glowing and the ocean would reflect its light. "It's so beautiful." I said mesmerized and he also looked to where I was watching.

"I can't remember the last time I took the time to look at the moon and the ocean at the same time." I said and I could feel him staring at me. "Whenever I felt lonely as a little girl, my mom would tell me to just look at the moon, because even though the sun was even more beautiful to others, the moon was even better. Not because of how tiny it is, but that you could stare at it for hours and it wouldn't hurt your eyes like the way the sun does." I said and I feel a lump on my throat.

"She was my moon and my father was the earth." I finished and looked at him looking at me. "Do you miss her?" He asked me and I nodded sadly. "Every single day." I answered truthfully and he put his arm around my shoulder while we both looked at the moon. "Your parents are some place better, a place where they're looking down at you being proud because you are the youngest scientist and pilot in the entire program." He said and I lightly smiled.

"I had an amazing time, Chuck." I said turning to look at him once I opened my door. "Thank you for everything, it was sweet." I said smiling and he smiled back standing in front me, and I had to look up at him. "Do you remember our first kiss?" He asked me and I laughed nodding.

"How can I forget? It was at a cliche spot and time." I answered and he chuckled. "I mean it was a great kiss, but my least favorite part was when got sick afterwards because it was raining." He said and I nodded. "My brother wanted to beat you up when he found out, but then he saw how buff you were." I said and he laughed scratching the back of his neck.

"Your brother did manage to bruise my eye." He said and my eyes widened. "You said you ran into a pole." I said hitting his shoulder and he laughed. "Murphy, I know it's a bit early-" I cut off Chuck by placing my lips on his, at first he was surprised, but then he wrapped his arms around my waist as I wrapped mine around his neck and I feel my heart race.

We kissed for a few seconds, then we pulled away. "You want to go out again?" He asked me and I nodded looking up at him. "Definitely." I answered unwrapping my arms from his neck and going inside my room. Once I closed the door, I pressed my back against the door and touched my lips lightly. A smile forms on my face and I jump in my bed, I took off my boots placing them on the floor and got under the covers since it was cold.

That night was just the best, I didn't have nightmares at all.

2 years later...

"Ops, at what time will my annoying brother get here?" I asked Ops and he handed me a donut. "Chopper says that they will land in five minutes along with the recruit." He answered as he started typing which showed some holograms. "Are you ready for the drift test on Friday?" He asked me as I sit next to him and eat my donut. "Kinda, I never really connected to people easily like with my brother and Chuck." I answered him honestly and he glanced at me.

"How come you didn't have a big wedding?" He asked me smirking and I chuckled taking another bite of the donut. "Chuck and I didn't want anything big, we just wanted something small." I answered him and he chuckled. "Sir, the recruit, the scientists and the Hansen's will be landing now." A personnel said to Ops and he looked at me.

"Go, it's been a week since you haven't seen them." He encouraged and I smiled hugging him tightly from behind. "Thank you!" I said pulling away and finished eating my donut, I grabbed my files, I quickly walk out the platform that had at least five Jaegers. I see Chuck talking to his father and I quickly walked towards them, but a buff guy makes a turn with his duffle bags and I was knocked back into the ground.

"And she's your recruit." I hear Marshall say as I was picking up papers panicking. "Really?" I hear the person ask, the person helps me pick up my papers and he lends me his hand. "Thank-" I cut myself off once I saw the familiar face and his face went blank once he saw mine. "Murphy?" He asked, I saw a hint of regret in his eyes and I nodded.

"Raleigh." I said saying his name for the first time in seven years.