Chapter 30 - Summer Ball

Start from the beginning

I giggle and go back to my previous position, daydreaming. I have trouble because I don’t really know what expression I want him to have when he sees me tonight. Last thing I knew was that he was coming to the ball. Unless he changed his mind today, I should see him in that room.

“Done!” Mare announces and grabs my shoulders. “Now look at you.”

I stand up and go to the full mirror to see Mare’s work. I’m wearing a dress Renee used for a play in school, it’s white and very delicate with a lace right below my breasts. It falls with such elegance and I kind of feel like a fairy. My hair is all pulled up in an intrinsic tangled of braids and curls and Mare added some white flowers here and there. The look reminds me of Lizzy in Pride And Prejudice, that version with Keira Knightly.

“I love it! Thank you, Mare,” I say and turn around to look at her. She looks amazing, too. With a white dress too but hers has some golden details like the ribbon around her torso and the little flowers at the hem of her dress. A lovely braid surrounds her head like a crown and she simply looks amazing.

“Let’s go,” she chirps taking my arm and we leave her room to go to the ballroom.

Everyone around is dressed in a similar way to us. I kind of feel like in the nineteen eighties and with every step with take I grow more excited. And more anxious. I am shaking, but Mare keeps a hold on me and that helps me to keep going.

When we make it to the ballroom I can barely breath, but the moment I take full notice of what is happening around us I catch my breath. It’s amazing, it really looks like we stepped in the Regency Era. Couples are all around laughing and enjoying themselves at the sound of contemporary music. It’s funny how the music is what brings you back to the present day. I understand, though. I don’t think people would consider this a party if it was only Regency Era music so they play the kind of music all the guests are used to.

“Let’s go to the stage,” Mare instructs me and I follow her.

It’s a small stage where small band is waiting and tuning their instruments. I’ll sing from behind but they’ll play the song. We’ve rehearsed if a few times. At the beginning we were going to record a track but then realised it would be better to have a band so Mare talked to Mrs Drennan about it and she let us play with the band she hires sometimes. They are really good.

From behind the stage I take another look around, looking for Harry. I see him and he’s with Niall who looks miserable. I can see that even standing from here and I know Harry is doing his best to cheer his mate up. I feel terrible for Niall and I wonder how Ella is feeling right now. She surely remembers this day, when they met. Or like Harry said, when their story began.

I also see Mrs Drennan, looking so pleased with herself as she has small talk with everyone, being a real host. After a while, she comes to the backstage to talk to us.

“Are you ready, girls?” she asks us and I only nod.

“Yes, more than ready,” Mare replies with a wide smile.

“Great, I’ll introduce you now. Don’t let me down,” Mrs Drennan says before she walks way. I hug Mare and she hugs me back, both still backstage, waiting.

A guy that is in charge of the whole sound system during the party comes to us to hand us the microphones. We’ve done this so we know how to proceed, but I’m still shaking and I’m not even going to be on stage. I don’t know how Mare is handling this.

We wait hand in hand as we hear how the music stops and Mrs Drennan walks on stage. “Good night, everyone. I do hope you are having a wonderful night. For tonight we have a special number for you all and we hope you enjoy. It’s always you entertaining the world, now it’s time we entertain you for tonight. Enjoy,” Mrs Drennan finishes and I feel like puking but Mare gives me one last squeeze before she lets go of my hand and walks on stage right when the band starts playing.

I take a deep breath and walk further from the stage, away from people. I’m alone here, no one is watching me. It’s like singing in my room. There’s no one around. I can do this.

I know when to start singing so when I hear the music, the right chord, I start singing, hoping Mare is doing the same. I close my eyes and just sing, feeling the music in my body, letting the words come out and just picturing Mare and I in the music room, fooling around, laughing and dancing and singing. And by the chorus I’m not shaking anymore, I just feel the power of the music and it’s like I’m a new person.

By the end of the song I feel like I’m vibrating with energy, I actually feel like I’m at the top of the world, like the Imagine Dragons’ song. But then I hear the claps, I hear people cheering.

I blink, surprised. They… they liked the song. They liked what they heard and they heard me. They actually liked it. They sound extremely happy.

I run to the stage but I remain hidden and I see them. I actually see them clapping like crazy and cheering and I can’t believe it. All these people are part of the industry, they know about this. And they liked the song. They liked the song I wrote and sang. They liked Mare’s performance. They liked what we did tonight!

Oh my God!

I cover my mouth and keep watching. I see them all and then I look at Mare who’s radiating. I wish I could’ve seen her. I bet she was amazing on stage, mesmerising them with her charisma. I bet she was magical.

Mare senses me and looks at me, she smile radiantly at me and I know she’s feeling like I’m feeling right now. This is actually happening and to know they liked my song is the most wonderful thing I’ve ever felt.

I have to do this. I mean, I have to write more songs that people will love. Song that people will clap at, like tonight. I don’t care if Mare sings them or anyone else. I just want to get my music out there.

I just want to run to Mare and hug her because she gave me this opportunity. Without her this would’ve never happened.

After a little more she leaves the stage and comes running to me and we hug each other so tightly it should hurt.

“We did it! They loved it. Oh my God, did you see their reaction? They loved it! They loved your song, they loved my performance. Ari, we did it!” she blurts out and hugs me again.

“I can’t believe it!” I almost cry, too happy

We just laugh after that. It’s exhilarating and we would stay there forever if Mrs Drennan would’ve have come.

“Mare, dear, people want to talk to you,” she smiles and then looks at me. “Ariel, honey, you were wonderful, too. That song is incredible.”

“Th-thank you, Mrs Drennan,” I say and she smiles happily at me.

“You two impressed the right people. Now Mare, go get them. You can go, too, Ariel. I think it’s better if you go together,” she suggests.

Mare looks at me like saying that’s a good idea but I don’t think so. I mean, I’m still not good at talking to strangers. And what if they are important people? Oh no, let Mare handle that.

“I think it’s better if only you go,” I tell Mare and she grabs my hand with an ‘are-you-sure?’ look. “Yes, I don’t wanna mess things up. I—I think I’ll— I better go to—”

I don’t need to finish that sentence for her to understand what’s come to my mind so she hugs me tightly and kisses the top of my head.

“Go for him, Ari,” she whispers at me. “I’ll get these others for us.”

And with that, she leaves with Mrs Drennan and I’m alone backstage again. I take a deep breath. I’m going to find a certain boy tonight, and surprise him that I’m here and maybe have a wonderful time.

Yes, I’ll go find Harry now.

-:-:-

*sighs heavily*

NU: Friday