You Almost Caught Bryn Winchester

Start from the beginning

“Hannah’s followers found you?”

“Yes.”

“They won’t stop until they get you so be careful.  As for how to get to Colorado Springs, I’m at a loss unless you want to take the Chariot of Damnation again but I’m guessing you ran out of money.  They’ve raised their prices quite a bit.”

“Don’t remind me…” Bryn grumbled.

“All right, well we’ll let you know what happens.  Bye Chiron,” Rachel said. Bryn hung up the phone and proceeded to go to the visitor’s desk.  As she asked questions about how to get to their destination, Rachel’s cell rang.  Being a non-demigod, she was allowed to have one because it didn’t attract monsters to her.

“Hello?”

“Rachel?  It’s Percy.  How’s everything?”

“Not too bad. We’re getting chased by not just Romans, but some of Hannah’s people too.  Barely escaped them in Vegas.  We’re at Hoover Dam now.  Derek and Silena went to use the bathroom.  Bryn is figuring out how to get us to Colorado Springs.”

“You’re at Hoover Dam?” Percy asked drolly.  He was obviously remembering their first meeting there.

“Yeah.  You owed me your life then.  Got those creepy skeleton things away from you briefly, Mr. Percy Gotta-Go.”

“And I thank you from the bottom of my heart,” he replied, laughing. “Listen, we’re in Decatur, Illinois.  According to Annabeth, it’s about the same distance for us to Colorado Springs as it is for you guys.  Tell Bryn to meet us there.  We’re not going to stop her from going on this quest anymore.  We know she can’t be stopped.”

“I’ll tell her.  Can’t promise she’ll listen.”

“Get her to Rachel.  Something is going to happen on this trip.  Bryn knows it, I know it, you know it.  I think we all do in some way, shape, or form.  Be careful and don’t do anything too risky.  Hard, I know, considering who you’re with, but at least try.”

“Says the kid who was the poster child for risky behaviors.  All right, I will.”

“I didn’t have a choice!” Percy protested, but Rachel knew he was smiling.  Then he added, “By the way-”

At this moment, there was a blood-curdling scream from somewhere inside the building.

“What in Hades’ name was that?” Percy demanded.

Rachel didn’t answer him.  She was too busy staring at the people crashing in through the windows of the visitor center wielding swords, shields, and spears.  Bryn had already been attacked by one of them.  In fact, it looked like the guy Ryan London.  Bryn held a metal pole.  Where she’d gotten in from was questionable, but Rachel didn’t question it.  She’d seen stranger things happen.  Bryn swung it at one of Ryan’s troops, nailing him in the stomach and sending him flying across the hallway.

“Rachel!” Percy exclaimed, attempting to get her attention.

“Gotta go!” she replied, quickly ending the call.

“Time to go!” Bryn shouted, grabbing Rachel’s hand and dragging her away. “I’m a good fighter but not good enough to fight all those people.  Where are Derek and Silena?!”

“Right here!” Derek announced, falling into step with his best friend.  Silena ran beside him.  They were holding hands. “Any ideas how to get out of this one?”

“No but I’m working on it.  I’m really sick of running though.  We need to escape and do it well.  Outside is our best shot.”

Multiple security guards came into view, their intent obviously to stop them.  Derek and Silena continued their charge straight at the guards.  They both punched the guards closest to them in the face.  Bryn front-flipped over the guards, landed on her feet, and swung her metal pole at a hulking guard that had to be six-foot-seven with muscles twice the size of Rachel’s head.

The four proceeded to run outside of the visitor center and onto the main road.  Rachel had to dodge multiple cars because Bryn decided running up the center of the road was the best idea (which Rachel decided to disagree on).  She heard shouts and commands behind her; turning around, she saw Ryan London and his troops sprinting after them.  They were quickly gaining too.  Rachel pointed this out to Bryn who swore colorfully.

“The rocks!  Climb them!” Bryn ordered, pointing at the rocks on the side of the road.  Rachel wondered what Bryn had in mind as she followed in suit.  The climb was difficult near the top when the rocks decided to become steeper with fewer handholds.  Rachel wondered why Bryn didn’t climb but figured it was because she didn’t want to leave the others in the dust.  Huffing and puffing, the four of them reached the top, right next to the bridge that went over Hoover Dam, at which point Bryn said, “This way.”

She jumped the five foot drop to the highway, landing on all fours.  Silena, Derek, and Rachel could do nothing but follow.  She was definitely getting to old for this.  No amount of yoga or strength training could help her forty year old bones prepare for a five foot jump.  Bones aching, she scrambled after the already moving teenagers, only to stop in the middle of the bridge, staring at Ryan and his troops.  Bryn started to turn around to run the other way but they were blocked by Antony and his Roman legion.

“It’s over Bryn!” Ryan shouted. “If you come peacefully, you will receive no punishment!”

“Like hell you’re going with them!” Antony snapped. “You’re coming with us!”

Bryn looked between the two guys.  By now the traffic was at a standstill, with everyone wondering what on earth was going on between these teenagers.

Bryn looked wistfully over at the canyon, smiled, and said to her companions, “Do you trust me?”

“Yes,” they responded without hesitation.

“Then get ready to jump.  Hold on to each other.  Silena, your powers should comfort our fall.  From what I’ve heard, it should feel like a… pillow.  Got it?”

“I’m ready when you are,” Silena said.

With a grin, Bryn stepped up onto the guardrail, earning horrified gasps from the onlookers and outraged cries from Ryan and Antony.  She proclaimed, “Antony, Ryan, you will always remember this as the day you almost caught Bryn Winchester.”

She saluted them and, grabbing Derek’s hand (who held onto Silena who held onto Rachel), fell backwards, plummeting towards the water seven hundred feet below them.

__________________________________

Did you guys enjoy?!  I hope you did!  Please review :)