Of Pretty Boys and Tough Girls

In a sense, every person is their own sort of puzzle. Some are like Rubik's Cubes, others Sudoku puzzles,  some are even like one-thousand piece picture puzzles. Everyone is meant to be solved differently, but each with care and precision. It's easy to think you've solved a puzzle correctly and be completely wrong. 

In this case, assuming one has all the facts they need to complete a puzzle is the first step towards a downward spiral of several incorrectly completed versions of the puzzles and ultimately to the point where the puzzle simply cannot be solved because you've mixed up pieces and even lost some and suddenly you don't even have the puzzle anymore.

Hux made a very rookie mistake in thinking he'd finally learned how Kylo's mind worked. Unfortunately, he was wrong. When Kylo didn't show up for school for three consecutive days, Hux realized he really knew nothing. He had asked Rey why he wasn't there and she only said that he wasn't feeling up to it. The answer was irritating, to say the least, but he could respect a family's privacy. 

On Thursday, Kylo finally showed up for school. As usual, he looked very pretty. Though, that day, it seemed as though he'd put no effort in. His hair was tied in a lazy bun and he wore an over-sized golden-knit sweater and a knee-length black skirt. He wore black flats and looked even more irritated than usual. What showed Hux that Kylo hadn't put forth the effort was the lack of makeup. He still thought he was pretty, though. He decided to leave him be today. There was no point in trying to find another piece of the two-thousand piece picture puzzle that was Kylo Ren today. 

---

He found him at lunch time. Well, less found and more overheard him yelling with the rest of the kids in the cafeteria. There was two other boys and a girl standing in front of Kylo with rather sinister grins on their faces. Kylo looked like he'd just bitten into a lemon. Except angrier. Like no one had told him that what he had been biting into was a lemon.

One of the boys, who was taller than both Kylo and the other boy in his group, crossed his arms, looking rather smug. And it was hard to be taller than Kylo. 

"I'm just sayin', you don't see boys in skirts. It's not normal." He said and he sounded so certain. His two friends nodded in agreement. Kylo's face was bright red, flushed with anger and probably some embarrassment.

"And in the nineteen twenties, you didn't women wearing anything but skirts. Times change, asshole! So how about you get out of my way so I can get some lunch!" Kylo spat back, fists clenched. The trio laughed. They didn't move. 

"My mom used to go here," the girl began, "and she knew this boy who wore skirts, too. Apparently he was your mom's twin brother. Maybe being a freak is genetic." She teased and Kylo saw red. 

"Shut the fuck up!" He screeched, "Just shut the hell up! You don't know anything! What right do you have to stand there and talk shit on not only me, but my family?! You sick fuck! Just go away!" His throat hurt from yelling and tears burned his eyes but he was seething. He couldn't just... let this go! He couldn't! They weren't allowed to talk about Uncle Luke like that when they didn't know anything about what he or the rest of his family had been through. Before he could start yelling again, Rey was by his side. Her eyes held anger Kylo had never seen before. He could tell it even unsettled the trio of assholes.

"I suggest you three fuck off before I'm the one that loses my temper. You don't get to talk about things you don't understand or have a part in. Now go." She demanded, voice unnervingly steady. The three left immediately. Rey took Kylo's hand and they both left campus.

Hux couldn't believe it. He'd never seen Rey pissed off before. 

---

When they got home, Rey let Kylo hide in his room. She knew he didn't like showing emotions in front of people. She stayed downstairs with Artoo and Threepio. 

---

Leia got home first, she usually did. Rey explained what happened and Leia scowled, heading upstairs to see Kylo. She stopped outside his door and took a deep breath, relaxing herself. Gently, she knocked on the door and waited for a response.

"Who is it?" Came the muffled response. A fond smile graced her lips.

"Your mother." She replied softly. Kylo granted her access and she walked in, shutting the door behind her. 

"Rey told me what happened." She began, voice steady, "I'm glad you tried to get them to leave before you started shouting. I'm even more glad you managed to avoid a fist-fight." She told him honestly. He chuckled humorlessly. She sighed and sat down on the bed next to her son. Kylo adjusted to rest his head in her lap.

"They're just narrow-minded fools, sweetheart. I know you know that and I understand they crossed a line, but I beg of you, don't let them change you. Don't let them break you." She said as she began to gently brush her fingers through his hair. 

"Are you and Dad scared that I'll run away like Uncle Luke?" He asked, voice small and vulnerable, like a frightened child after a nightmare. Leia chuckled.

"Sometimes we are. You and him share plenty of similarities, but we like to think that you have a strength to you that maybe Luke was afraid to use." She admitted. He hummed in response. She bit her lip, trying to think of a way to lighten the mood.

"Did you know I used to do your uncle's makeup?" She said abruptly. Kylo looked up at her, surprised.

"Would you like me to do yours?" She offered with a warm smile. Kylo's face seemed to brighten. 

"You would?" He seemed surprised. She laughed.

"Of course."

---

The sight Han  came home to made him smile. Leia had Kylo on one side and Rey on the other with several makeup kits spread out on the coffee table. And they were laughing. He put his stuff down and sat in the recliner with a grin. 

Sometimes, he knew, things were hard and their family was a bit messy, but there were nights like this where those hardships were a distant thought and joy could warm the house.

But, as they say, all good things must come to an end.

~~~

Huzzah, a chapter. And it's a longer one. You're welcome.

~Goblin