Chapter 5

"You killed a werewolf?" a small girl said, looking up at Arthur with wide, wondering eyes. It hit him like a mallet, these people weren't surprised about the devastation that the werewolves had caused, they were surprised that Arthur has managed to kill one.

"You mean to tell me that none of you have ever killed one of these werewolves?" Arthur asked.

"We have tried. Spears, arrows, swords, everything but nothing works. We hit the werewolves and they bleed and yelp but the wolves just pull the weapon out of their fur and heal themselves quickly." A man spoke up.

"Haven't you ever heard that silver is the only type of metal that can kill a werewolf? That's why my arrow killed the wolf I shot. The pendant was tied to the arrow," Arthur explained. The villagers exchanged looks of sheepishness.

"No, we've never heard about that," a woman with a child in her arms said.

"We have lived here since are grandparents were babies. The werewolves trapped us here with no contact from the outside world for decades." Another villager called out, this time an old man.

"What do you mean trapped?" Arthur questioned.

"If we go into those woods to try to escape, our only way of escape, the werewolves will eat us. Then the wolves will leave the bones by the entrance of the village to show us what they are willing to do," A boy told Arthur.

"It works," a young girl added looking up at Arthur with sad and frightened eyes.

"Instead of just standing here, how about we take care of the girl who fainted," a girl who looked about 15 offered.

"Mirabelle!" Arthur exclaimed.

"How about we take her into my cottage?" the same girl asked timidly, in the most beautiful voice Arthur had ever heard.

"Yes!" Arthur stumbled, "that would be..." Arthur just stood there staring blankly at Mirabelle, "that would be great," he finished awkwardly. Arthur grabbed Mirabelle and carried her while following the other girl to her house.

When the trio arrived at the cottage, the lady told Arthur to lay Mirabelle down on her bed while she got her a drink of water.

"Sahara," The girl said.

"What?" Arthur looked at her wondering what she meant.

"My name. My name is Sahara. By the look on your face I could tell that you were wondering." She explained.

"Oh," Arthur said, "thanks for telling me." Sahara smiled at him and then turned away. Sahara put some water in a pot and started a fire. As the water started to boil, Sahara added herbs of many varieties. Saying the name of each herb as she dropped it into the water then stirring, made the 'water' strange.

"Are you a witch?" Arthur wondered aloud.

"Me?" Sahara asked, "No. My mother was a potions master though, if that is what you were wondering."

"Oh that make sense. I've just never seen anyone so... um...good? I guess, at making potions."

"That is a very nice thing to say. Thank you." Sahara replied. Arthur blushed. Mirabelle squirmed, then fell silent once more. Is she going to be okay? Arthur wondered about Mirabelle.

Yes, someone replied inside Arthurs mind.

What! Arthur shouted inside his mind.

"Sorry," Sahara said, "I guess I should have told you."

"Told me what?" Arthur asked, looking at Sahara with a slightly scared expression.

"That I...That I can use what I call mind speech. It means that I can talk to you using my mind and you can talk back, if I allow it."