Chapter 19

After the attack outside the government building, despite Uruma and Sanjuurou searching CCTV records, they couldn't find anything.

"Well," Sanjuurou shrugged. "Must be just another one of those attacks."

Misaki raised her eyebrows.

"Working in the government gets you a lot of enemies. Most of them attack you to try their luck with getting information."

She crossed her arms against her chest. "So you're saying you get attacked often?"

"These attacks aren't personal, Kanade girl," Uruma said.

"But he could still get hurt," she snapped.

Sanjuurou broke into a grin. "Are you worried about me?"

(Uruma rolled his eyes. "Since when is she not?")

Her cheeks reddened.

Haku suddenly snapped his fingers. "I got it!"

The other three looked at him curiously.

"Misaki-senpai, you can fight decent! As expected as a survivor of the infamous Naraka!"

Unwittingly, her eyes fell to her left wrist where there lay a scar – a reminder of how Sanjuurou died and how she gave up her kanji for him.

She looked up, only to see Sanjuurou's eyes on her. He was undoubtedly also thinking about what happened six years ago.

Uruma cleared his throat. "What are you getting at, Shirokawa?"

Haku beamed, slamming his palms on the table with a flourish. "Misaki-senpai should join us on missions when we need her!"

Sanjuurou frowned.

"No," Uruma said. "She's not trained. She'll be a hindrance."

"For once I agree with Uruma," Sanjuurou said. "We'll be only endangering Misaki if she does."

"But think about it!" Haku protested. "You've seen the clips – Misaki-senpai can fight well enough! And it'll be good to have another helping hand during undercover missions, especially if English is needed!"

"Uruma can come along with me!" Sanjuurou argued. "He's always been acting as the translator before Misaki joined anyway."

"And..." Haku's eyes suddenly dimmed. "As daughter of the Kanade family, such an influential presence... it'll definitely come in handy..."

"How do you know about my family?"

Haku's head snapped to her direction, as if he wasn't expecting her question.

"Actually," Uruma cut in. "... What Shirokawa is suggesting isn't entirely bad."

"What?" Sanjuurou stared at him. "Are you crazy?"

He scoffed. "Think about it, Hinata. Remember the other time when I acted as your secretary?"

They shuddered.

Haku smirked, cheerfully filling in Misaki with the details about how a French suspect Uruma and Sanjuurou met undercover thought the two were gay, claiming that he never saw such close colleagues, and how they met him at such a romantic restaurant.

Sanjuurou buried his forehead in his hand, his face a grimace. "... I guess letting Misaki on some of our missions isn't such a bad idea..."

* * *

"I knew it was a bad idea!" Sanjuurou yelled a week later.

It was a mission that required an extra person, and they got Misaki to follow along. It was going all fine, and just as they were about to make their exist, they were suddenly chased by a bunch of men.