Chapter 3

"He's the one - ?"

"Yeah, the one – "

" – Who came out of the unopened door."

"That's him."

Murmurs surrounded Misaki as she attempted to make her way to her usual table after collecting her lunch, an unusually large crowd of students blocking her way.

She cleared throat. "Excuse me."

She was ignored. At the table, Aira was telling Rokudou how amazing he was during the dragon eclipse, while he had a confused expression.

"Excuse me!" Misaki said sharply, emitting a murderous intent.

At once, a path cleared for her, people shrinking away from her glare.

She took her usual seat next to Sanjuurou – not because she wanted to sit with him, but because the only seat available was there as Aria and Rokudou always sat together.

Sanjuurou stared straight at Rokudou.

"Why is Hinata staring at me like that...?" Rokudou asked, hesitantly.

"Because he secretly has a romantic infatuation with you," Misaki said offhandedly, convinced that Sanjuurou wasn't listening.

Just as she lowered her head and was about to eat, fingers curled around her cheek and started pinching her.

"Aren't you so presuming, Misaki?" Sanjuurou said with a grin plastered across his face.

She immediately started hitting his hand.

"Hey – ow!" Sanjuurou withdrew his hand, grimacing.

Misaki scoffed, turning back to her food.

But before she could eat, she was interrupted again, this time by three students came forward to greet Rokudou. They smiled, introducing themselves and Misaki shook her head – they were trying to curry favour with Rokudou, just like how Sanjuurou did when he found out Hakamada's character.

"Come on guys," Sanjuurou said. "Rokudou is tired. He doesn't know what happened to him during that eclipse either."

He effectively dispersed most of the crowd. A boy who introduced himself as Tomonaga, the one with a kanji upon his brow and whom Misaki recognised as her groupmate during the dragon eclipse, lingered.

"But... It's your ability, the one that comes with your character... right?"

He left eventually, and Aria and Rokudou began chatting, forgetting quickly about the crowd. Misaki, stayed silent as usual, casting a sideway glance at Sanjuurou, who was deep in thought while eating.

* * *

A few days later, when Misaki just pulled on her uniform and was just about to make her way to class, people began shouting and running to the courtyard.

She sighed, knowing what was coming before making her way to the courtyard, quickly locating her acquaintances.

The skies rumbled, and the ripples in the sky became larger. They seemed to be in the middle of some sort of raining eclipse, and Sanjuurou's friends looked expectantly at him for strategies to defeat their enemy for the day.

"... Well, Hinata?" Misaki broke the silence, crossing her arms, staring straight at him.

His eye twitched. "Didn't I say before that I wasn't a walking encyclopedia?!"

"Your kanji is knowledge," she spoke slowly.

"Well, I only know about monsters that came out so far!"