Seven

"Mr Adrian, can you try something?" Amos stopped a little ways into the darkness and raised his hand palm up. A dark swirl formed above his palm. "Try to take this power from me. Its only a small amount so don't worry. It won't harm me."

"Why would I take your power!" Adrian yelped, backing up a step.

"I need to test if you have more than one special ability. Shadow demons can see other Shadow Servants. Not just their own. But only if they have a Shadow Servant themselves. I need you to take this power from me to test my theory." Amos insisted.

"Okay, but how?" Adrian stepped closer and watched, mystified, as the dark magic swirling in Amos's palm practically leaned towards him. A voice echoed in his head.

"ɬ∆к∑ ⅰɬ. ㄚ◊ㄩ ки◊Щ ㄚ◊ㄩ Щ∆иɬ ɬ◊." The voice purred in his ear. He shook his head to try and clear it. "∂◊и'ɬ ๒∑ レⅰк∑ ɬサ∆ɬ. ∆ςς∑ㄕɬ ㎡∑. ㄚ◊ㄩЯ ◊レ∂∑Я ๒Я◊ɬサ∑Я кⅰレレ ∂ⅰ∂ ∆и∂ и◊Щ サ∑ ๒∆ㄅкㄅ ⅰи ɬサ∑    ㄕ◊Щ∑Я. ㄚ◊ㄩ ς∆и ɬ◊◊ ∆∂Яⅰ∆и."

"Mr Adrian, you hear the voices don't you?" Amos frowned at Adrian's confused and conflicted face. "Don't give into them, whatever you do. I lost my older brother to them."

The voices stopped - as if they were muted but in reality Adrian's curiosity drowned them out - as he looked up. "So you did have an older brother? James told me he only ever had two brothers. You and Vern. Or at least, he did mention an older brother. In passing before my birthday. Then Will mentioned a Phillip Lawrence."

"I imagine it was because he was extremely young when our brother Lawrence died. Lawrence was Mr Kill's Shadow Servant." Amos sighed.

"ㄅ∑∑ Щサ∆ɬ Щ∑ ς∆и ∂◊? ㄚ◊ㄩ ∂◊и'ɬ サ∆√∑ ɬ◊ Щ◊ЯЯㄚ ∆๒◊ㄩɬ ɬサ∆ɬ  ㄕ∑ㄅкㄚ ㄅサ∆∂◊Щ サ∆ибⅰиб ∆Я◊ㄩи∂ ㄚ◊ㄩ." The voices started up again.

"No." Adrian growled, blocking the voices. James, sensing his master's unease, drifted to the edge of the woods. "I will not listen. James, no matter how long I've known him, is not pesky. Amos, I think I know what to do."

Amos smiled. "Very well then." He recreated the swirling power in his hand since it had dispersed previously. Adrian raised his own hand and mentally beckoned to the power, closing his eye and feeling the energy flow through his fingertips and curl around his Central Source. Amos watched in awe. "Very well done Mr Adrian. Now, you are able to draw from that power and use it yourself. But only a limited amount since I gave very little."

"Whoa." Adrian examined his fingertips and arms. The tattoos decorating the pale skin glowed a faint violet before fading.

"Master Adrian?" James stepped closer to them before suddenly rushing forward and hugging Adrian tightly. "Thank you for not giving in." He didn't let go even as Amos readied to pull him off.

Vern - appearing beside his brother - stopped Amos with a hand. "Let him be Amos. He's still young. He's still easily influenced and I know he heard Mr Adrian speaking to his voices." The plump male smiled. He watched as the two eventually slid to the ground, Adrian's exhaustion affecting both of them, and fall asleep on each other. "I'll go inform Master Will of their whereabouts. Would you put up protective shields. That way Mr Kill doesn't attack them?"

"Okay." Amos sighed. "I'll start a fire so Mr Adrian doesn't get cold either. Master Bill will come close to ripping my head off if Mr Adrian catches cold."

Vern smiled softly, flicking some white hair from his eyes. "Well, Mr Adrian has been missing for the past thirteen years."