Chapter Sixty-Three

Start from the beginning

"Okay then," Doctor Harris smiled as he handed her the pie. "Remember if you all find yourselves needing anything, feel free to come down to the house and knock, I'm sure I'll be able to help. And before I forget, Judith wanted me to invite you all to dinner tonight around seven."

"I thought she wasn't feeling well?" Evangeline reminded him and he waved his hand.

"She'll be just fine. Entertaining folks makes her feel better."

Evangeline doubted that Colt would say okay to the dinner offer but she nodded politely. "I'll be sure to tell the group about dinner."

"Alright then, miss--?" his gaze became questioning.

"Evangeline."

"Alright then, Evangeline—that's a real pretty name by the way. I'll be on my way now."

Evangeline watched the doctor leave and then closed the door and secured the board across it with her free hand. She wasn't sure how it had gotten left unlocked but knew she'd have to remind everyone to be more careful about locking it. She didn't like knowing that the doctor had snuck right in so easily.

Evangeline made her way to the kitchen and sat the pie on the counter. "Where is that from?" Rachel asked with hungry eyes as she took in the sight of the pie.

"Doctor Harris said his wife baked it for us. They also invited us to dinner tonight."

"He seems like such a nice man." Rachel stated with a smile. "I can't understand why Colt doesn't trust him."

"I don't trust him completely either, Aunt Rachel. There is something off about him."

"You're just so used to running around with savages, colored men and outlaws that you've forgotten what a gentleman is." Rachel assured her with a snort.

Evangeline felt her fists clench and she took several deep breaths through her nose and counted to ten to calm her temper. "You'll do well to watch what you say and who you say it about," Evangeline warned. Tears pricked behind her eyes, "Silas was a damned good man and one that I respected and loved very much."

Rachel seemed taken aback and she quickly grabbed a knife and began to cut the pie into seven wedges. "Of course. I apologize," she whispered.

"I'm going to get back to my laundry. Doctor Harris did say that if we needed anything we could go down to his house and he should be able to help. Since you're so fond of him I thought perhaps you'd want to go have tea and biscuits or something."

Before her aunt could reply, Evangeline made her way quickly out of the kitchen and to her wash basin. She picked up the shirt she'd been scrubbing away at and began to scrub again with renewed gusto.

"What did that shirt ever do to you?" Colt's amused voice asked from behind her. Evangeline turned her head and forced the sweetest smile she could manage as she batted her lashes.

"I'm picturing my aunt's face on it. Better the shirt than her actual head against this washboard."

Colt rubbed at his scruffy chin and studied the washboard for several long moments. "I think you might just be wrong about that."

Evangeline laughed lightly and stood up, drying her hands once again on her trousers before walking to him. She rose on her toes and threw her arms around his neck. Bringing her lips to his, she paused just before they touched, "I don't think you are every supposed to tell your wife that she is wrong, Colt McGreer."

Colt grinned as his arms snaked their way around her waist, "Is that right?"

"Yes," Evangeline nodded and bit at his lip causing his grip on her waist to tighten and a growl to escape his throat. "I'm quite sure it is written somewhere."