Colt was chuckling as he walked away and began untying the brown mare from a shaded rock.

"Where are you going?" Comanche asked, walking over from the lake.

"To find Katherine. I need to see that she's okay and talk her into coming back if I can."

"I will go." Comanche offered.

"That's alright." Colt countered. "You've been doing more than your fair share of the scouting, hunting and work since you came back."

"I like to be busy." Comanche shrugged. "I honestly do not mind. When I am still, I think too often."

Colt nodded because he understood completely. There had been many weeks after losing Sarah and Loralie that Colt had not been able to tolerate being still. And if being busy made Comanche feel better then Colt would gladly give the man work to do. "Alright then, injun. Thank you for bringing back that deer last night. It felt good to have some warm meat in my belly."

Comanche nodded. "I saw many prairie dog mounds while out this morning and set traps for them. I will check them before I return with Katherine."

"Thank you, Comanche. I told you before but I'm gonna tell you again, I'm real damn glad you came back."

"I will be back after a while. It shouldn't be too hard to track her." Comanche whistled and his Paint horse came galloping across the plains to him. Comanche slid into the saddle and took off without another word.

Colt saw Ox sitting alone a short distance from where Rachel was cooking up a bit more of the deer meat from the night before. While Colt hated any discussion that included feelings, he also knew that Ox was Evangeline's brother, his brother-in-law, and a good friend. Right now the giant of a man looked like he could use a friend that had a shoulder and an ear.

Colt grabbed a chunk of cooked meat from the rock Rachel had the finished bits sitting on and munched on it quickly as he made his way to Ox.

***

Katherine had been walking since just after daybreak. The night had been long, chilly and far too dark and quiet. She was used to hearing the sounds of others breathing, snoring and moving while they slept. The silence of being completely alone out here had nearly deafened her.

But it was daylight now and she was feeling more sure of herself. She would just continue to walk until she found a town and then she would set there just as she'd done in the past. She would make it in this world alone. No attachments and no dependency upon anyone else. When she died no one would know and no one would be hurt.

She had no doubts that she would die eventually; they all would. There was no hope and she believed that deep down in her soul.

It was nearing midmorning, probably around ten or so if Katherine were to guess and she decided to stop for a short rest in a wide field full of long grasses and wildflowers. There were red mesas in the distance and the scenery should be beautiful and breathtaking but it evoked no happy feeling from Katherine.

Happiness wasn't something this new world allowed and feeling it would only cause pain. Perhaps it wouldn't be today or tomorrow but eventually.

She was sitting there in relative silence when she heard a grunt come from behind her. Instantly she pulled her gun and whirled around only to hear a tiny 'moo' and see a young calf trotting toward her. It seemed a little nervous about the woman sitting in his field, but more curious.

Katherine glanced a few yard behind the calf and saw the cow standing there, chewing on her cud. She didn't appear to be too worried about Katherine and her calf as she lowered her head once again to the ground.