Chapter Fifty-Eight

Mulai dari awal

Comanche and Ox quickly took off to do as Colt said. Colt began dragging the dead rabid bodies and parts into a pile and Silas went to help him.

"Well come on, Evangeline and Jedidiah, these carts won't unload themselves."

Charlotte, Evangeline and Jedidiah made trip after trip, taking in the few changes of clothes, lanterns, oil, blankets and food the group had left.

Charlotte laid her arms on the side of the cart and took a few moments to rest. The summer sun was beating down already, the hot rays burning the skin on the back of her neck, despite the fact that it was not even yet midday.

She swiped her forehead against her arm and smiled when her eyes found Silas. So handsome he was. His kind brown eyes met hers and his dark cheeks curved in that loving smile she still found breathtaking.

Charlotte was about to gather up the last load of blankets when she realized that her boot was untied. With a sigh she crouched down and grabbed the laces in her hands.

"Got that took care of, Colt." Ox's voice called out. Charlotte looked up to see him and Comanche walking back. "Plenty of room for all the horses in there but they won't have a—"

Charlotte lost her balance and threw out her hand to catch herself. Her arm slid under the cart and then Charlotte's scream of pain and terror cut off Ox's words.

***

"Miss Charlotte!" Silas's voice rang out.

Silas ran toward Charlotte with his mind racing. She was crouched down with her back to him and crying out with pain. Her cries were like daggers straight through Silas's heart.

"Miss Charlotte, what's wrong?!" he demanded.

Then his heart stopped, his stomach churned, and his legs nearly gave out when he came close enough to see over her shoulder.

Charlotte used her free hand to drive her knife deep into the top of the rabid's skull but it was too late. The damage had already been done. Somehow no one had noticed this danger lying half hidden behind the cart wheel.

It was a head and nothing more; yet it had just managed to take Silas's entire life away from him with one gnash of its jaw.

Charlotte's screams fell silent as she tore the rabid off of her flesh. She stood slowly and turned to face the group with blood pouring from the gaping wound on her forearm.

"It—" she swallowed hard, tears streaming down her face as she looked in Silas's eyes. "It bit me."

"Shit," Colt's quiet, simply spoken curse came from behind Silas. Silas heard other things though he paid them no attention. He heard someone crying and he heard angry mumbling and cursing.

All he could see was his wife's pale, fear and pain-stricken face. "Miss Charlotte...." He whispered.

"Silas, it bit me," she repeated. "I didn't even know it was there. I was reaching down to tie my shoe and I lost my balance. I fell forward and it.. it...."

Silas rushed forward and took her into his arms, collapsing to the ground with her. He leaned his back against the cart wheel and held her close, burying his face in her hair.

"It'll be okay, Miss Charlotte."

"No it won't. I'm going to become a monster."

"Maybe you won't," Silas said desperately as he pleaded with God inside his head. "You're gonna be just fine." Charlotte began to shiver in his arms and Silas cursed loudly. "Please no, Miss Charlotte. Please not you."