Chapter Fifty-Six

Start from the beginning

Suddenly Evangeline let out a sob and then took off out of camp and into the nearby field, dropping to her knees in the long grasses and covering her face with her hands.

"Shit, Evie..." Ox muttered. "Miss Kate, are you okay for a minute?" Ox questioned and Katherien nodded while waving her hand absently.

"I'll be back then."

Silas turned his attention back to Susette. "Is she going to be okay, Silas? Does she look worse? I think she looks worse? Is she getting worse?" Katherine rambled.

Silas offered her a comforting smile and shook his head. "She's no worse, Katherine."

"But she's no better." Katherine whimpered. Silas was surprised by the change in the woman from just a few short weeks ago but he understood the panic he now saw in her eyes. It was a terrible thing to watch your child suffer and be helpless to ease the pain.

"Give it time, Katherine." Silas assured her. "Now, Miss Charlotte here made some coffee. Why don't you give Susette to me and I'll see to her for a while so you can stretch them legs and get a drink?"

Katherine gripped the girl a little tighter but then sighed and nodded. Silas took Susette into his arms, trying hard to keep from bumping her arm. Charlotte helped Katherine to her feet, and the woman winced in pain as blood flow returned to her legs.

"I'll get you a cup of coffee and then we'll take a walk together. Does that sound good?" Charlotte offered. Katherine nodded again and left Silas to wonder if she even truly knew what was going on.

He watched his wife pour some coffee into a small tin cup and then the two women walked out onto the plains, sidestepping the dead rabid hanging from the trees.

"Alright now, Little Susette, you gotta pull through this." Silas whispered. He stared down at her fevered face and trembling body and couldn't help but think of Grace. His heart broke knowing that there wasn't much he could do for this child either.

Silas did all he knew to do and sang gently. "Swing low, sweet chariot comin' for to carry me home—"

***

"Evie?" Evangeline heard her brother coming up behind her and she tried desperately to dry her tears.

"I'm okay, Ox. Just leave me alone." She whispered.

"Shit, Evie. You're not okay." Ox sounded miserable as he stood behind her and laid his hand on her shoulder. "Talk to me."

Evangeline couldn't do that. She couldn't lay her own troubles on Ox. It wouldn't be fair to him when it was his woman and their—Evangeline realized with a new wave of guilt that Susette was like her brother's child and she was close to dying or at least being maimed for life.

She pushed herself to her feet and turned to face him, throwing her arms around his waist and burying her head in his chest so he wouldn't see her face. "I'm sorry, Ox. I shouldn't have run off like that and given you something else to worry yourself over. I promise I'm just fine."

"Evie, you can't lie to Ox. I know you too well."

"Yes you do." Evangeline pulled away and smiled up at him. Her brother's green eyes that were the exact same shade as her own were red rimmed. His face was drawn and his lips pale. Evangeline laid her hand on his cheek. "Everything is going to be okay, Ox. You just have to be there for Katherine and for Susette."

"Evie, we don't get to talk much anymore but you know I love you right?" Ox questioned. Evangeline felt her heart twist.

"I know you do, Ox. I love you too." She placed her hands on his chest. "Now go take care of Katherine and if you need anything then you know I'll be there."