Chapter Forty-Four

Start from the beginning

"I still can't believe you married him!" Rachel exclaimed. "I tried to talk you out of it last night--"

"But I wouldn't listen." Evangeline finished for her as she grabbed the pan of biscuit dough from the counter and slid it into the oven. "And I won't listen to you say a bad word about him now either. He is the man I chose and I won't hear any more about it."

"Not that there were very many to choose from." Frankie chimed in as she came into the room.

"Where have you been?" Katherine asked, while stirring the potatoes that were frying.

"On the roof." Frankie replied, stealing a chunk of potato and earning herself a glare from Katherine. "Comanche and I were keeping watch but Jedidiah and Colt came up and told us to come down." Frankie stuck her stolen food into her mouth and then drew in a breath and began fanning her hand as she chewed the hot piece of potato.

"I love how we're all trying to act like this is just another morning." Katherine snorted. "There are men riding this way that could very well try to kill us all and yet here we are just cooking breakfast and chit chatting."

"Perhaps we've grown so accustomed to people and monsters trying to kill us that we're simply not bothered by it anymore." Charlotte offered as she poured a jar of canned apples into a pan to heat.

"That's kinda sad really." Frankie muttered as she hoisted herself onto the countertop to sit. She wiped her hands on her pants and smiled. "So, Evangeline, how is married life treating you?"

"Colt was too tired last night." Katherine cut in with a wink.

"No actually he wanted to but I said no." Evangeline spoke up quickly, even though her cheeks and ears both grew hot when she did so.

"Look at that blush! You're as innocent as they come, ain't ya?" Frankie teased. "I'm surprised he took no for an answer."

"Colt happens to be a gentleman." Evangeline informed them.

Charlotte laughed. "No, he just happened to have two bullet wounds and severe blood loss. Try saying no on a night he's feeling a bit better."

Every woman in the kitchen stared at Charlotte with shock. "What?!" the woman exclaimed. "I happen to be a married woman myself."

Laughter filled the room and Evangeline was thankful for it. Even with the world the way it was, it was nice to know that women (even women as different as the five of them were), could still laugh and talk together.

"I will admit that I never saw myself getting married." Evangeline said. "My father was always pushing all the eligible bachelors down my throat and each one was more gruesome than the next."

"My first husband was someone my parents chose and he paid them nicely for my hand. He was an abusive drunkard who lost all his money and used his heavy hands to punish me for it. Sometimes parents don't truly know what is best for us." Charlotte admitted.

"And what happened to your husband? Was he bitten?" Frankie asked.

Charlotte nodded, though her eyes remained on the apples she was stirring. "Yes. He came home one night and he wasn't himself. I fought him off and barricaded myself in the servants quarters. I gave birth to Grace alone while he and our only servant beat against the walls, desperate to get in and have a taste of us. If it weren't for Silas showing up when he did, Grace and I would have died that night."

Mention of Grace had everyone falling silent and filling with sadness as they thought about the tiny angel.

"Those monsters are scary." Susette spoke up.