Ox spread his fingers wide and placed his palm in the air close to Susette's head. Katherine smiled behind her own hand when she realized that Susette was right. Ox's hand was indeed bigger than her head.

"I was just born big, Miss Susette, but that don't mean I'm gonna hurt nobody." Ox stated comfortingly as he stood back up.

Katherine sighed. "We're looking for something to eat. Susette here says she's hungry."

"I think all we have are some biscuits from last night. Silas and Charlotte are driving. Colt's with the horses. Frankie and Comanche are—somewhere." A blush colored Ox's cheeks before he cleared his throat and continued. "Evangeline, Aunt Rachel and Jedidiah haven't come out of their rooms yet."

"Oh yes I have." Evangeline's voice came from behind them and Katherine saw the happiness on Ox's face at the sight of his sister. It only made Katherine more certain that this was a man she wanted to be with as more than just a bed partner. Ox was a good man and those were rare.

"Evie! Did you sleep better the rest of the night?"

"Yes I did." Evangeline replied, throwing Susette a little wave.

"And..uh..." Ox pulled off his hat and wrung it in his hands. ".. was Colt a gentleman?"

Katherine saw a blush color Evangeline's cheek as her eyes widened. "Ox, that's hardly your business! You've got the man scared to death to touch me. He thinks you'll kill him."

"I told you he was scary." Susette mumbled.

"Shit, Evie, I just worry about you. You're my baby sister."

"And I'm not a baby anymore." Evangeline reminded him.

Katherine looked down at Susette and saw her blue eyes studying Evangeline and Ox carefully. "What is it?" Katherine asked.

"They are brother and sister?" Susette questioned.

"Yep we are, Miss Susette." Ox replied.

"And he's harmless." Evangeline added, smiling at the girl. "You don't need to be afraid of him."

"Yeah, I wouldn't hurt a fly." Ox agreed.

"Nice to know." Colt spoke up as he walked into the dining car.

Katherine saw the way Evangeline lit up at the sight of him and she saw the look in Colt's dark blue eyes as well as the man took in the sight of the other woman. Katherine was happy for Colt. Everyone deserved someone who 'lit up' whenever they came around them.

Then she saw the protective glint in Ox's eyes as he glanced from Colt to his sister. Colt seemed oblivious as he pulled off his hat and ran his hand through his thick blond hair.

"I gotta head to the engine." Colt said.

"Why?" Evangeline asked. "Where did you run off to after Comanche talked to you this morning?"

Colt shifted his feet and appeared uncomfortable. "Just had to talk to Jedidiah."

"About?" Evangeline pressed.

Colt plopped his hat back on his head and threw her a smile that Katherine knew was only meant to placate her. It seemed Evangeline knew it as well because her gaze remained stern.

"It's nothing for you to worry about." Colt assured her and without another word he headed toward the engine.

"Sometimes that man is so evasive and closed off I could smack him right upside his head." Evangeline muttered.