Chapter Thirty-Six

Start from the beginning

He glanced down at her and saw the tears running down her cheeks and mixing with the raindrops. Ox was holding her hand and Colt was surprised to see the big man was fighting back tears as well. He had already known that Evangeline had a big heart and it seemed the trait ran in the family.

Colt couldn't hear what Charlotte was whispering to Silas but finally the man rose to his feet and swiped his hand over his face while he nodded. Colt stepped toward Silas, knowing he had to say something yet unsure how he'd find the strength to. Evangeline was suddenly at his side, her tiny hand slipping into his palm and Colt took a deep breath.

"Silas, Charlotte, I want you both to know how sorry I am about your loss, even though I know me saying that doesn't make you feel a damn bit better." He began and he nearly lost his resolve and took off running like a coward when both of them turned their sad gazes to him, their tear filled eyes looking into his. "I..uh.. I ain't much of a talker but I'm a fair listener so if you ever need to talk then I can listen. I want you to know that I know the exact pain you feel right now. The feeling of failure, anger, hurt and agony. Feelin' like you had your heart ripped clean outta your chest and it's been tossed down in that hole.... I wish I could tell you that it goes away—and maybe it does given time—all I can say for sure is that you get used to it and you adapt. At least you have each other, don't forget that."

"Thank you, Colt." Charlotte whispered and Colt nodded.

"Now why don't you all go on up with Evangeline and get out of the rain. Ox and I will finish up here and we'll take good care of her."

Colt watched as Charlotte wrapped her arm around Silas and led the man back toward the train. Damn but women were strong. Honestly Colt had no idea how they did it.

"Are you sure you don't need me to stay out here with you?" Evangeline asked quietly and Colt nodded, brushing her wet hair from her face.

"I'm sure, Evangeline. The last thing in this world I want is for you to get sick out here in this rain with me. I don't reckon I could stand something like that happening."

She flashed him a sad little smile and he gripped her upper arms as she rose on her toes and kissed his jaw. Colt knew his fingers dug into her skin but he couldn't help himself. The heat from her lips caressing him damn near had the rain drops turning to steam as they fell against him.

"Are you okay Ox?" Evangeline asked, moving away from Colt and turning her attention to her brother.

"Yeah, Evie, I'm alright." Evangeline rose on her toes and Ox stooped so she could kiss his cheek as well before Evangeline walked off to the train, quickly catching up with Silas and Charlotte.

Colt sighed and picked up the two shovels, handing one to Ox. "Let's get this over with." Colt mumbled.

In silence the two men filled the hole with dirt, the mud thumping hollowly against the wooden box.

"I want to talk to you about something, Colt, but I don't think now's probably the best time." Ox admitted after a long while of quiet.

"No time like the present, Ox. What do you want to say?"

"Well it's about you and my sister." Ox replied.

Colt stopped for a moment and leaned against the shovel, wiping his wet shirt sleeve across his rain slicked head. "What about Evangeline and me?"

"Well," Ox paused as well and rubbed at his neck. "What are your intentions toward my sister?"

"Intentions?" Colt questioned with disbelief. "What in the hell are you talking about?"