"Minor detail?" Evangeline gasped. "That's an entire train full of rabid!"

Colt shook his head. "We'll have to find somewhere else in this town to sleep tonight and then we'll figure out what we're going to do from here in the morning."

"We have no option but to move on and find another train." Silas spoke up and Comanche rolled his shoulders and laid a hand on the strap that held his bow on his back.

"There are always options."

"Are you insane?!" Rachel demanded loudly from atop her roan mare. "You want to battle an entire train full of those things?!"

"He ain't insane, he's the only one thinking clear. This is the train we need to travel halfway safe out west. And a comfy train seat is a hell of a lot nicer to sleep on than a thin bedroll on rocky ground." Frankie exclaimed.

"This is simply a good way to end up dead." Charlotte countered adjusting the sheet around her that held a slumbering Grace.

Very soon there were so many voices arguing loudly that Colt's head began to pound.

"Enough!" he bellowed and every voice fell silent. "First on the priority list is finding somewhere to sleep for the night. This discussion can wait until we're all tucked in safe."

"Uh... Colt..." Katherine whispered, her arm pointing past his head. Colt didn't have to turn to know that something had changed behind him. He could hear the intense moans and hungry growls and the sound of bodies thudding against the glass windows.

Slowly Colt turned and the sight he was met with had his blood running cold. The rabid in the cart behind him had clearly noticed that food was near. They were crying out with desperation and beating against the windows, streaking blood and gore on the glass as they moved.

Rotting faces and bullet riddled chests were pressed tight against the windows and Colt heard a woman, he wasn't sure which one, gag behind him.

The train carts began to rock as the other rabid heard this car full and joined the hunger-crazed frenzy.

"Get the women back." Colt whispered.

"Colt, what are you going to do?" Evangeline asked and he shook his head.

"Silas, Comanche get everybody somewhere safe. I'll make sure the train is secure and I'll be along."

"You'll need help." Evangeline argued. Colt turned to see that everyone other than her and Ox was listening. She had jumped from the wagon and was walking toward him while Frankie drove the wagon away. "Let me help you check."

All Colt could see was one of these rabid breaking through a window and getting his teeth and claws on all of her pale skin... tearing her apart the way Wallis's children had torn into Sarah and Loralie.

Colt shook his head forcefully and pointed at Ox. "You get her out of here now. Take her with the others. Y'all get locked up somewhere, the livery would probably be best so there's room for the horses and wagons."

"You probably will need help." Ox admitted slowly and Colt's patience snapped.

"Damnation I'm not taking on the entire train of rabid by myself!" he yelled angrily. "I'm just gonna check the windows and the doors."

"But Colt....." Evangeline began and Colt strode toward her, silencing her. He grabbed her upper arm, probably a little too roughly and looked down into those deep emerald green eyes of hers that were so damned beautiful.

"If one gets loose while I'm looking around, the last thing I want to worry about is that it's going to get you. Now go with your brother."

Evangeline moved her eyes from his and looked down at his chest instead. "Will you promise me that you'll be careful?" she asked quietly, her fingertips brushing lightly against his bare forearm as she swiped away some dirt.