Chapter Twenty-Seven

Start from the beginning

"Ox, you are not dumb." Evangeline said with a smile. She rose up on her toes and could just barely manage to press a kiss to the bottom of his jaw. "You should talk to her. She might just want to talk to you too."

"But shit, Evie. All the women ever want from ol' Ox is a quick romp between the sheets and then it's 'don't' talk to us in public and we'll pretend we've never seen you. Can't have anybody knowing we bedded the dumb son of that Gilcrest man.'"

Temper flashed in his sister's green eyes and Ox winced. "Joshua Franklin Gilcrest!" she exclaimed, and Ox knew that every head around was going to be turning in their direction. "I won't stand to hear you speak nonsense like that around me! You are the single best man that I know. Kind, gentle, sweet and yet plenty able of defending those you love. Any woman should consider herself lucky to have you and you are the fool headed one for allowing those other women to treat you that way!"

"Shit, Evie...." Ox whispered as his cheeks flamed red and he glanced around to realize that yes indeed eyes were turned in their direction, including a set of brown speckled green ones that he'd really been hoping wouldn't notice the scolding his sister was dishing out. "Keep it down." He added.

Evangeline blushed as well and then tugged on her skirt. "Well perhaps if you'll stop saying fool headed things such as what you just said, I won't have to scold you."

"Yes, ma'am." Ox flashed her a grin that had always managed to soothe her temper and he realized it still had the desired effect.

"Now I need some privacy." Evangeline urged and Ox nodded.

"You have your gun?"

"Yes." Evangeline assured him, waving her hand.

"Don't go too far." Ox called out as she disappeared into the forest.

"I won't."

Ox sighed and then his eyes were once again drawn toward Katherine. She was so beautiful. Her hair was a deep golden color and her skin dark and tanned. Those eyes all green with brown flecks inside of them were the prettiest eyes that Ox had ever seen and when she smiled, (which wasn't very often), her face lit up like Christmastime.

Suddenly Ox's heart stopped beating when Katherine's eyes met his and she gave him one of those smiles. Should he go talk to her like Evangeline said??? No he couldn't!! What if she was like those other women and would be ashamed to be seen with him.

Ox just couldn't take that. He'd never felt pulled toward a woman the way he felt toward Katherine. Those other women had just been fun, Katherine would break his heart if she was ashamed of him. He couldn't take the chance.

Quickly Ox turned away and busied himself getting something out of a sack for him and Evangeline to eat before they rode back out.

***

Frankie swallowed down her pride and her hurt feelings and walked to Comanche who was currently standing guard at the back of the wagons. His sharp dark eyes scanning the surrounding woods for any sign of danger and his strong arms crossed over his broad, bare chest.

"I think everything's clear." Frankie said as she came to stand beside him. She didn't look over at Comanche but she could feel his dark eyes fall on her.

"It's been quiet today." He replied and she could hear the slight unease in his voice.

"We've had quiet days before, Comanche." Frankie reminded him and he sighed, nodded and turned to look into the woods again.

"Yes, you're right."

"But you feel like something bad is going to happen?"

"Yes."