Chapter 7

"Sara?"

"Sara?"

It was the barely restrained panic in Isaac's voice that caught Jenna's attention. She was out back in the woodshed spray-painting snowflakes for her big surprise. She grabbed her crutches and ducked out the door so he wouldn't come in and see what she was doing.

"Jenna, is Sara with you?" He visibly deflated when Jenna said she hadn't seen her. He scrubbed his hands over his face. "Oh God. I can't find her anywhere."

Jenna tried to ignore the sick feeling in her stomach at the thought that her brother might have something to do with Sara's disappearance. "Would she go in the woods?"

"I don't think so. She did that once last year and I had to get all the neighbours to help find her. She went out just before dark and scared herself pretty good. I can't see her pulling that stunt again."

"Where all have you looked?"

"Every room in the house, twice. I've been to all the cabins, and all her favourite hide-and-seek places. She isn't here." He paced back and forth, wearing a large patch in the snow.

"The last time I saw her she was colouring at the living room table. Maybe an hour ago." Jenna started towards the house slowly.

"She can't have got that far. I was only in the kitchen making lunch for fifteen minutes or so. I thought she was still working on her project. I shouldn't have left her alone but she wanted it to be a surprise." Jenna could see the panic on Isaac's face. She wanted to reach out and comfort him, and cursed the crutches that kept her hands tied.

"It's not your fault, Isaac. Sara's smart, and I'm sure she's fine. We'll find her soon." She stopped at the door to the house. "I'm not much use searching outside, so why don't you take the truck and head down the road a ways towards town and see if she's there, or if anyone has seen her. I'll search the house again as best I can and make sure there's someone here if she shows up." And try to track down my brother to make sure he had nothing to do with this. She didn't think Eli knew where she was staying, but it was possible. And she didn't know what he was capable of.

If her brother had done anything, she was never going to forgive herself.

Isaac wrapped her in a huge hug, and she could feel him collect himself. "Thanks, Jenna. I'm really glad you're here."

She was right where she wanted to be, too. Jenna really hoped he still felt that way once they found out where Sara had gone.

It wasn't at all the right time to dwell on it, but she really did like the feel of his arms around her.

"Okay. Now go find your girl."

*

Jenna dialed the number her brother had been calling her from, but got no answer.

She hobbled around the house, checking everywhere that looked like a good hiding spot, methodically making her way from room to room. She kept calling out for Sara along the way, but no small voice answered.