First Meetings, Second Feelings (Part 1/2)

Disclaimer. I do not own any rights to Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters or any of the characters created from the manga/anime. TRIGGER WARNING: This story contains moments depicting depression and self-harming tendencies. If you are uncomfortable with any of these topics please do not read further.I hope you enjoy the story!

-*-*-*-*-*-

I never really minded being alone.

Truly I spent most of my life alone. After moving to Domino after my parents' death I really began to understand what it felt like to be truly alone. I lived with my cousin and his little brother, but in reality, we practically parallel resided amongst each other.

They kept to themselves and their life, and I stayed in my own lane with my slow and empty life, and I felt my old friend loneliness creep from the shadows. 

It began slowly really. Beginning with watching out my window as people walked by; laughing, holding hands, embracing, kissing. Everything I'd never have. Everything I didn't deserve.

Then came the tormentors, the cruel-hearted fiends that walked the halls of Domino High School. 

Faggot.

Waste of space.

Inconvenience.

Just kill yourself, we'll all be better off.

Then came the knife.

It started by accident really. I was washing dishes in the sink when a knife knicked my wrist. I watched as the blood invaded the water slowly and felt all my pain and sorrow drain with the blood to the water. 

It became my medication, my mechanism, my cure; but also my curse.

Emo.

Freak.

Attention whore.

Psycho.

I stared down at my wrists, littering my flesh were jagged lines of my own self-loathing. A permanent reminder that no one will ever care. No one will ever try. No one will ever love me. I'll always be the freak. The psycho. The loner.

The forgotten.

-*-*-*-*-*- Four years later  -*-*-*-*-*-

I tugged my sleeves down nervously as I bit down at the cap of my pen. My wrists itched terribly today, a constant reminder of my emotional overload from last night. Anxiety riddled my body as I tried to focus on my Egyptian History textbook.

Two years ago, I had finally graduated from the Hell that we called Domino High School only to move on to Domino University on a full scholarship thanks to my studious undertone. Perks of being an antisocial loner was my books were always there.

Yet no matter how long ago high school was, I still felt my old fears and anxieties rise every time I stepped foot in the university community room. I wouldn't be here if I could help it, but my roommate decided to sexile me yet again.

Damn you, Marik.

I looked up from my textbook at the sound of a soft laugh and felt my eyes land on the table that the noise originated from.