Chapter 2: Hunting

Once again, I must state clearly that this story was inspired by Erin Hunter's Warriors and NOT my own work completely. This is just a fan-fic.

Chapter 2:

A whole moon had passed and the prey became scarcer as time passed.  

Mittens, her unkempt raven black fur a memory of her housefolk abandoning her, was sunning on a rock. She thought of the handsome russet tom who had been her mate, Spot, who had been killed by a monster on the Thunderpath.

A leaf fell on her head, reminding her of the imminent leaf-bare. Fuzzy and Patch were a moon old and had stopped drinking Mitten's milk. Now is a good time to start training them to hunt, Mittens thought. 

"Fuzzy! Patch! I'm going to teach you to hunt!" Mittens called to the two kits who were playfully tugging at each other in the den. The two then rushed out in delight. She remembered how Spot had taught her how to hunt when he found her...

They padded deep into the forest, making sure not to cause any prey to run by not stepping on broken twigs or dry leaves.

Mittens crouched very low, put all her energy on her hind legs, and pounced not too clumsily onto a mouse and with a quick slice, she successfully killed the mouse. Fuzzy and Patch watched in awe.

Fuzzy then mimicked Mitten's actions, although with much greater agility, gracefulness and speed, and successfully caught a plump mouse. Patch tried too, but failed when he stepped on a few dry leaves, causing the mice to run. Mittens was astounded at Fuzzy's talent---just like Spot. "Good job, Fuzzy. And it's okay to make mistakes, Patch..."

Patch looked enviously at Fuzzy's catch. "You were just lucky..." he sulked as the trio went back into the den with the catch. After eating, they all fell into a deep slumber.

------------

Fuzzy was alone in the unfamiliar forest. It was not the forest she was born in, but a much lusher and greener one. Fuzzy saw a squirrel and chased after it.

Suddenly, a shaggy grey tom with stars on his pelt arrived, in more benevolence than other cats, nevermind his messy fur.

"Beware! The end is coming and all will die. However, the flaming hope will rise! She will have powers other cats can only dream of possessing, and will lead the cats through the cruel times. But be cautious of the danger, chosen one. You had been warned..." The tom mewed before disappearing into thin air.

Fuzzy was confused. "Flaming hope?" This cat was off his whiskers... and what did that cat have to do with her?

But she could not help but feel perhaps there was some truth in what the starry cat had said.

------

I can't really edit much, just adding little bits inside and checking the spelling and grammar... but really, not alot to be done.

Conclusion: I AM AWESHUM. or maybe not... lawl...