epilogue

I walk up the broad staircase leading to my workplace- the NYPD- and holding a bulging stack of file folders, coffee cups and a briefcase with two baby name books and three diapers hanging out of the side pocket. I smile at onlookers, briefly acknowledge co-workers before rapping on the door that says, "Charles Denton."

"Come in," he calls and I open the door.

"Here's my resignation," I say softly, placing the file folder on his desk. "And here's two Timmie's to make it feel better."

Denton grunts, sighing a bit before leaning back in his office chair. "You really have to go?"

"Look, when Harry and I got married, you were there. You walked me down the aisle. You shouldv'e known this was coming."

"Yeah, but can't you stay on a little bit longer?"

"Pregnant ladies don't do guns, Denton."

He nods and gives me a sad smile. "I understand." He grabs the file and flicks through a few of the pages. "Any suggestion for who I should get to take your spot?"

"Kina Grier," I say softly. "She and her partner, Tobe? They solved that case in Jamaica a few years back. He died doing it."

Charles nods. "Yeah, but she'll need a new partner."

I shrug. "So? There's plenty around here." My phone rings and I pull it out, smiling when I see the caller. "I gotta go, Denton."

"See you around, Jacobs."

I nod and close the door behind me, answering the phone. "Okay," he says breathlessly. "I've got another one."

"Harry-"

"The other day this clown opened up a door for me."

"So?"

"I thought it was a nice jester."

--

and that's it! i am so sad to see Shadow be completed because it had been, by far, my favourite to write, but i am also happy to check off another book on my list and get started on the next title in my brain. :)

i love you all so much, thank you for reading Shadow. and remember... if you know sign language, be proud of yourself.

it's kind of handy.