f o u r t e e n t h

I headed out to my Nexus. This news I had just uncovered- this news that I knew fit with Case 1145 somehow- couldn't wait until tomorrow. Bentley was only fifteen minutes away, so I climbed into my car just as my phone rang.

Let it ring. I thought to myself as I close the door behind me and listen to the voicemail the caller leaves.

-Beep- "Hey, babe, its Leighton. Terribly sorry to do this to you, but something's come up. I need to go to the rehab centre tonight. In case you've forgotten, we had a date scheduled for tonight. I'm gonna have to cancel. Love you!" -Beep-

-x-

Harry was sitting on the bed in Cell 145, illuminated in the pale twilight of the 7:00 PM air. The window, dusty and old, added to the etherealness and mystery of the picture. He was running his fingers over the cold and dusty photograph I had seen in Cell 145 before. His curls were pushed back from his face; lips moving in a hidden prayer I desperately wanted to hear. But Harry wasn't Leighton. I was engaged to Leighton; I loved Leighton.

I love Harry.

The thought came swiftly, and I stifled a gasp. I couldn't believe I just thought that. I was engaged, for Pete's sake, and, to be honest, Leighton wasn't that bad. But Harry was exciting; Harry made me feel good and perfect. And Harry made me laugh; made me feel safe. Like when we went to Tim Horton's and talked hockey. When we watched Reba. When we made a card castle. When we went to the crime scenes. When we woke up together.

Love is a silly thing. I refuse to believe love is just a feeling or a word. Love is falling asleep with someone you barely know because you trust them. Love is taking that someone home with you because they make you feel young again. Love is eating pizza with that person and exchanging stupid jokes and calling each other stupid names because love should be fun. I had fun with Harry.

But Leighton was practical. And I was engaged to Leighton.

I leaned against the brick wall of Bentley, studying Harry. He still hadn't noticed me. I cleared my throat and said softly, "Your mother, Anne. Her husband dated my mother in high school."

Harry's eyes softened. "I know."

Those words hit me hard. The fact that Harry knew was either a huge warning flag or a huge romantic gesture. "What do you mean, you know?"

Harry stood and helped me into the cell as a guard unlocked it for me. "I just, do."

"Harry."

Harry's eyes grew frustrated and he pulled at the ends of his hair. "I can't tell you any more than that."

I sighed. I knew pushing further would get no where with Harry. "Fine." I shivered again and sat down on his bed. He hides the photograph before sitting down next to me. "You cold, Hildegard?" He teased.

"Y-yeah, how do you survive in here?" I asked as the wind howled outside.

Harry shrugged before staring into my eyes hesitantly. I nodded slowly, unsure of what he was going to do but wanting it anyway. He slowly wrapped his arms around me and pulled me to his chest.

So this is happiness.

"Thanks," I commented, warming up slowly. "All of the women? They were related to your step-dad, Robin."

"I know."

I sat up, pushing him away. "You knew? Do you even know how long that took me to figure out?" I sighed and pushed a hair behind my ear. "Is there anything else you know that I should know about?"

A few emotions flashed across his face- fear, sadness. I deciphered them quickly and reached for his hand. "What's wrong, Harry?"

He huffed and pinched his nose. "It's nothing." He glanced up and locked his eyes with mine. "Just be careful, okay?"

I noticed his eyes were glassy; a few tears forming. Alarmed, I reached over and pulled Harry into a hug. "Hey, it's okay," I soothed. I decided not to ask why the hell he was almost crying, and just leave it be. "I'm gonna get you out of here, I promise."

Harry sniffed and wiped the tears away with the back of his hand, nodding. "I mean it, Sky." He whispered severely. "Be careful."

I nodded, swallowing. "I will, I promise."

Standing, he pulled me into another hug. "I'd love to talk with you more, but I have to go to the rehab centre tonight." I noticed as he turned away from me, his shoulders shook even more. Something was seriously wrong.

"Harry, what's wrong," I demanded softly. "C'mon. You can tell me-"

"No, I can't!" He bellowed, shocking me with the sudden anger. His shoulders flexed as he leant against the brick wall. Sniff.

I advanced towards him and trailed a hand up his back. He sniffed again and looked at me. "This just," he started softly and I held my breath. "It might be the last time I see you for a while."

My eyebrows furrowed together, panic rising. "What do you mean?"

"I can't tell you anymore," Harry explained. "I've already told you too much."

I straightened and placed my hands on the sides of his face. "Listen, I've got you, okay? It's going to be okay. I know being in Bentley sucks, but I also know you're not the murderer. I'm going to find out who it is, okay? And I'm going to get you out of here."

The words soothed Harry and he leant against me desperately. I held him as he silently cried, worry taking over my features as the beautifully tragic mess that is Harry fell apart in my arms.

--

this is a shorter chapter, sorry. but i don't want to have any super long chapters, so i'm trying to stretch them out.

also, I'm at this conference thing until Monday so no update until then. :-/