Chapter 16: Escaping the palace

Start bij het begin

"You doubt their loyalty?" I frowned and looked at him. "What would you do if you suddenly had to work with the people who had previously invaded your planet without any reason known to you?"

Obi-Wan cleared his throat awkwardly and looked away. "Fair point." He whispered.

"Let's just hope the palace is going to hold it together, we still need to run for-" a shock went through the whole castle like an earthquake, the walls groaning and moaning under the pressure. Cracks formed in the stone foundation like a crack in ice, growing larger and larger with each vibration.

"We need to hurry!" Anakin yelled and started running faster, his legs carrying him further like never before.

"Watch out!" Just in time I saw the ceiling above us crack and some stones tumbling down, leaving me able to dodge the falling debris. A scream from behind me told me that someone else had failed to do the same.

I stopped dead in my tracks, turning around to see who was hit. Just like many times before my instinct took over. It was a daily routine, printed inside my head. It was almost just as normal to me as making breakfast or putting on clothes. I knelt before his body, lifting his helmet off and checking for his heartbeat.

"lyanna?!" Obi-Wan realised that I had stopped running as debris continued to rain down on us. Nevertheless, he ran towards my side, kneeling on the other side of the trooper's body and helping me lift off the chuck of stone from his body.

"6 fractured ribs, broken collarbone, mild concussion and possibly a perforated liver." I whispered under my breath while taking out the morphine from my bag.

"We don't have time for this, princess." Obi-Wan looked at me with concern.

"Don't you dare compel me to leave him behind." I glared at him while injecting some morphine into the soldier's body. "You may be new here and not entirely welcome, but you do deserve medical help. I'm not leaving anyone behind: that also includes your bloody madmen."

Obi-Wan's eyes widened, looking at me as if I had just confessed my love for him. He then smiled in wonder and nodded with gratitude.

"Now help me get him outside." I grumbled and lifted the trooper's arm around my shoulder as Obi-wan did the same.

"So, this is what you meant with valkyrie?" Obi-Wan yelled over the noise of the palace falling apart.

"More or less." I answered, glad to see the light coming from the end of the tunnel. We were getting close but the building was collapsing faster than we walked. "Usually there's more blood involved and less running."

Obi-Wan chuckled lightly as he fastened his pace. Our breaths became faster than ever, our chests clutching as our lungs begged for air. We couldn't stop running, we knew that. Chucks of stone were already falling right behind us.

"Just a little further!" I yelled but right at the moments that we needed to take just one more step, the passage collapsed right onto us.

Our bodies were thrown to the ground with a force that knocked the air out of our lungs. Before I knew it, everything was black.

"Lyanna?" Obi-Wan's muffled voice woke me up together with a loud ringing in my ear. I groaned loudly, trying to move my arms so I could pull myself up. As I shifted the dirt fell from my head, leaving me looking like a ghost covered in white dust.

"Lyanna, are you all right?!" Obi-Wan urged on.

"My head hurts." I mumbled as I pressed my palm against the back of my head. I sat up in the dirt, looking around myself. Only then did I notice that Obi-Wan was holding onto my waist to stabilize me as his eyes tried to examine mine.