22. Keeps Me Warm At Night

Leala Kaine

"Christ I need a drink," Max groaned, dropping his head into his hands.

"I think you made enough poor decisions last night. You don't exactly want to add to the list." I quirked an eyebrow up at him, motioning to get the bartender's attention. It had been like pulling teeth just getting him to leave the flat. He was convinced that he'd fucked up the "bro code". He had flat out refused to go to his eleven o'clock because he didn't think that he could face Harry. I was honestly ready to drag Miss Ren Grace out by her smug purple head this morning and kick the living shit out of her. I liked my life drama free. Before she decided to come along and fuck with my system, it was drama free. Fucking slag just couldn't keep it in her pants.

"What'll it be?" The bartender asked. She was young, maybe twenty-one or so? Rustic hair pulled back into a wild fishtail braid, her dark eyes betraying nothing. She definitely wasn't my usual type, but hell she was something. I couldn't help it, I sat up a little straighter, my lips curling upward as my eyes moved on their own volition, scanning her dark button up. The top four buttons were open, exposing the valley in between her breasts.

Her name tag read, "Gabby".

"I'm an A-cup," she quipped, her voice rich with an indescribable sensuality, the sarcastic tone clear as day.

"Good thing I have small hands," I grinned. A light pink flushed her bronze cheeks before she cleared her throat, her eyes darting uncomfortably between Max and I. She put on a good front; it might have worked with the seedier patrons that frequented the college bar, but I'd learned to read people. She was more insecure than she let on; she'd just developed a calloused front to keep her sanity.

"Long day?"

"Something like that," Max's voice came out muffled, his face still buried in the wooden bar top.

"Short day, long night," I laughed.

"Ah, lady troubles? Care to put my honorary bar-chiatric degree to the test?" She grinned, throwing her towel over her right shoulder, holding out an imaginary lighter.

"How about we start with your mixology degree first," I smirked, "top shelf whiskey on the rocks, make it a triple." She nodded before looking to Max, who had slumped down onto the bar, his head against the polished surface.

"Water for him."

"I can order my own damn drinks, Mom," he groaned.

"Don't make me wash you're mouth out with soap, young man."

"Remind me why I talk to you again?"

"Because I'm the most interesting thing in your boring little life."

"God you're a dick sometimes, Lee."

"Yeah, yeah, now sip your water," I ordered, ruffling his close cropped hair as Gabby set our drinks down in front of us.

"Maybe you can explain this to me," I huffed, pulling my fingers through the front of my hair to keep it off my face, "What the bloody hell is the 'bro code' and why are guys so concerned with it?"

"Oh fuck, what happened? Did he screw your sorority sister?"

"Sorority Sister?" I laughed at the same time Max groaned, "No."

"Did you two screw?"

"Gods no!" I laughed, readjusting my Hanalei skull necklace.

"Your brother?"