The parents

She got it. She did. She knew everyone thought all parents were exactly alike, but they weren't.

Sometimes there were parents who over-pampered their beloved kids enough to turn them into obnoxious greedy people.

Sometimes there were parents who beat the shit out of their kids just to ooze out their frustration and tiredness.

Sometimes there were parents who didn't even know their kids existed in the universe.

Sometimes there were parents who chose to abandon their kids.

Sometimes there were parents who left, unwillingly, which made the kids survive on their own.

Sometimes there were parents who cared, sometimes there were parents who didn't.

Some parents did care but had a very vague way of showing it. They are never too affectionate nor too harsh. They know what's best for their kid, or so they think. 

Do they ever think of the kid wants to do? No.

Amber's parents fell in the last category. They loved her, but comparing her to other kids or telling her she was worthless and useless even if they didn't mean it was not really a good decision.

Sure, they'd let her go party once in a while and go out, but they always remembered those occasions, and the occasions in which Amber would be the guilty one - just to remind her whenever they were angry or disappointed with her.

Did they remember the good times? No.

Did they know their daughter was slowly fading into complete oblivion and utter depression? No.

Why? They were too busy looking at other people's perfections, that they forgot to look out for the imperfections in her.