You're Not A Monster

Summary:
Chuuya reads his son a bedtime story only to find himself relating to it and triggering a part of him he didn't want his son to see.

Contains: Fluff, light angst, comfort

Children love bedtime stories. It's the exact time of the night wherein the parent and their kids have a special bonding of their own, sharing experiences and ideas, adults giving their children the chance to expand their creativity through fictional stories and using fictional characters, making them a part of their kids' childhood.

For Chuuya, it was one of the best experiences of his childhood before Kouyou took him in to become a part of the Port Mafia. Hs mother and father would always tuck him in, read him his favorite storybooks or even his father's poetries. They would even go beyond as to create stories of their own, and Chuuya loved every single story his parents could come up with.

Even with his parents gone and Chuuya was all alone, he would never miss a chance to read himself a bedtime story before he went to sleep every night. He would read the books that Kouyou gave him and he would slowly fall into slumber with the book beside him. Doing so makes the ginger feel as if his parents are still with him, and with that, he still feels home.

Now, years after, here he was living with a little one of his own, and how he loves doing their bedtime routines that Chuuya had put up every night and his son, Fumiya, enjoys doing as well. Their most favorite part of the routine was, of course, the story-telling time wherein Chuuya reads a story to his son before tucking him in for the night.

"So, what should we read tonight?" Chuuya questions as he looks through the bookshelf filled with all kinds of storybooks and novels of Fumiya's liking. They've practically read every single book on the shelf and Chuuya tells himself that he should head to the bookstore tomorrow to buy new ones.

"Ah, Mama! Ranpo-san gave me a new book today!" Fumiya chimes, grabbing his bag from the side of his bed and Chuuya watched as he reached out a book with a black hard-cover and placed it in his lap.

Chuuya sat at the side of the bed where he usually does whenever it was story-telling time and grabbed the book from his son's lap, inspecting the cover for anything weird. When it's Ranpo-san we're talking about, he's bound to be up to something because he would surely not act as a good samaritan donating a good book to someone for no reason.

Fumiya watched as his father flipped through the pages, inspecting each page for anything weird, maybe a hidden code in the paragraphs that would activate some sort of trick in the book, sucking him and his son in for some real-life entertainment of the detective. He has lost a huge amount of trust on the older man ever since he got trapped in that mystery novel Poe made for Ranpo--not sure if he's had that much trust in him in the first place.

"Mama? What's wrong?" Fumiya asked in wonder while he stared at his suspecting father.

"Nothing. I'm just being cautious. It's Ranpo-san we're talking about. He could be up to something." Chuuya was honest, he always was whenever he talked to Fumiya because there was no reason to lie or hide anything from his son, was there?

Fumiya chuckles lightly, making Chuuya's heart flutter because it resembles a lot to his other father, another trait his son got which he both hates and loves "No need to be suspicious, Mama. I'm sure we can trust Ranpo-san on this one." the young boy assured him.

As much as he trusts his own son, he just can't let his guard down when it came to Ranpo-san so with a heavy sigh, he opened the book to begin reading while Fumiya adjust himself on the bed, resting his head on his father's chest while the ginger placed his arm over the young brunette's figure as if hugging him from behind while the book was opened right in front of both of them.