Chapter Fifty-Five

Start from the beginning

"Can't you hear that?" Tanner asked as music reached and the din of hundreds of voices reached their ears.

Jackson's face lit up even while Temperance's stomach turned. She was doing this for her son and for her husband... She would much rather be somewhere quiet and less crowded but this fair seemed to mean a lot to both of them and so she was going to face these fears and a situation that made her uncomfortable.

They rounded a corner and the fair came in sight. Tents of all different colors and sizes stretched out as far as the eye could see. Make-shift barns and corrals full of horses and ponies sat at the end nearest them Tanner led Jackson to the booth nearest them.

"Can I help you?" an older man with a face of leather from years in the sun asked from his seat at the booth.

"My son here is wanting to enter some riding contests with his pony," Tanner replied proudly.

The man studied Jackson a moment as Jackson stood there with his shoulders back and met the man's gaze head on. Suddenly the man's rough stern face split apart in a wide grin that deepened the wrinkles around his eyes. "Why of course he does! He looks like a natural born rider if I ever seen one. I have some papers for you to fill out and we'll get your pony put up nice and safe in that barn over there. Our first event for the young riders is tonight at six. It's just an introduction so the crowd can see who they want to pull for. Just a few laps around the ring over there."

Temperance followed the older man's gaze and saw the large paddock with white fences surrounding it. Currently there was a man leading a large black gelding around in circles inside.

Temperance watched Tanner fill out a sign in sheet while Storm was led away. "Can we go look around now?!" Millie asked with excitement.

"Sure can." Tanner glanced at his pocket watch. "It's only noon so we have plenty of time before the first event."

Temperance found herself becoming more and more comfortable with every hour that passed. She realized that most people didn't even glance in her direction and those that did simply offered a friendly smile and the occasional 'hello' before going about on their way.

She laughed with her son, her husband and their friends. She enjoyed the sunshine and the cool breeze. She let herself enjoy the gifts that Tanner seemed to be showering her with.

Today was a day to be happy and celebrate the new life she was living. It hadn't been given to her--no she had worked very hard to overcome her past and that simply made it all the more pleasant.

"I'm frightened he'll be hurt," Temperance admitted as she sat with Tanner that evening in the stands and watched Jackson preparing to ride his horse around the arena and have his name announced.

"Don't worry," Tanner assured her gently. "He's a damn good horseman and all they're doing tonight is riding around a few times. Nothing dangerous." he kissed her hair gently and Temperance felt her heart beat a little faster--only this time it had nothing to do with fear.

Temperance had never felt herself full of more pride than when she heard her son's name announced and watched him ride proudly around that ring with a beaming smile on his face. Tanner's hand held hers tightly and Temperance cheered for their son as Wilma, Sophia, Millie and Sara cheered as well. Temperance let her gaze pass over each of them; thankful that this was now her life and knowing she had nothing to fear from the future.

***

Temperance awoke and realized the sun was just rising outside the hotel window. The city was much quieter than it had been last night but already she could hear life stirring on the streets below.

Today was an important day... a day that Jackson seemed to have forgotten.

Today her son turned five!

Temperance slid from Tanner's arms, smiling when the man simply rolled onto his side and continued his snoring. She was happy to see that each night they spent together he began to rest more and more peacefully. Nightmares were something they would both be plagued with given their pasts but they were becoming fewer and farther between as time went on.

She decided she would simply let him and Jackson rest while she went into town and got some breakfast for them. Temperance knew that by now one of the other women would be awake to walk down with her. Quickly Temperance slid from her nightdress and pulled on her clothes, donned her boots and left the room.

She met Sophia in the hall. "You're up early," Sophia noted, smoothing out her cream colored dress that contrasted with her dark as night skin.

"I want to go get breakfast for Jackson and Tanner and I was hoping a few vendors would be open so I can find something for Jackson."

"Does he realize it's his birthday?" Sophia asked.

Temperance smiled. "He's forgotten all about it. I'm hoping to get him some new boots and a hat to wear today while he's competing."

"He'll love that!" Sophia agreed. "Were you wanting some company?"

"I would have come and woke one of you up had you not been out here," Temperance admitted.

Sophia looped her arm around hers and grinned. "Well let's go then. Times wasting and those men are bound to wake up hungry."

Temperance and Sophia made their way down to the main street of the fair and Temperance was happy to see that several vendors were already up and running. She quickly made a beeline for the tent where she had seen the children's boots and hats the day before.

As she perused the different colors and styles available she suddenly felt a cold chill wash over her spine. Temperance stiffened. Before she could turn her head a voice from the past had her trembling with panic and terror in its rawest form.

"Well hello there, girlie. Sure never thought I'd see that pretty red hair again."